Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft: Why we tore handy Store block out of Windows 10 Pro PCs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:42 PM

Last month, while we were all distracted by iPhone hacking and Jay-Z's web fiasco, Microsoft silently bumped off the ability for IT administrators to easily take the Windows Store off Windows 10 Pro PCs.

Removing the software store, along with other bundled apps, from work machines is normally a good idea to prevent users from installing crap, breaking things and calling the help desk, and generally wasting time at their desks.

The Redmond giant quietly posted a support notice warning sysadmins that for Windows 10 build 1511 and later, the ability to remotely disable the Windows Store through Group Policy settings has been revoked.

If you want to use Group Policy or AppLocker to remove or disable the store in the latest Windows 10, you must be using the Enterprise or Education editions. If you're using Pro, you can no longer use Group Policy, and Pro doesn't feature AppLocker.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/05/microsoft_windows_10_pro_store/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fcwe1113

fcwe1113

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

omg, what a dick move by microsoft

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

Same issue reported in this topic... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613094/updategate-microsoft-stops-windows-10-pro-admins-from-blocking-candy-crush/

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:25 AM

This really has been a week of brain-dead moves by Microsoft.  There's this one, the change to their own e-mail infrastructure that will probably make people using many e-mail clients bail in droves, and the forcing of all Cortana web traffic through Edge and Bing exclusively.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi Brian - the email one was actually announced last December, as I received a "heads-up" email from them at that time.

It got more serious last night for me though when I received one telling me, in essence, that after the end of June 2016 the Windows Live Mail (WLM) 2012 client will be dead.

I posted about it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613148/microsoft-to-discontinue-support-for-windows-live-mail-2012/

Annoying.  I detest Web-based email, and the built-in application hinders the way I work.  I gave it a try when I first put Windows 10 down but found that I just wasn't able to handle emails as efficiently as before.  Back came WLM2012 - lovely client.

Oh well.  I guess this is what is called an "improvement".

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

Angloid,

Well, WLM 2012 is not dead except for use with Microsoft's own mail services:  hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com, and outlook.com.

All the rest of the world will continue chugging along with the incredibly stable and perfectly adequate IMAP and POP (for the antiquated) access methods.  Microsoft has to "do something else" and something clearly proprietary.

They will lose e-mail subscribers who prefer to use e-mail clients other than WIn8 or Win10 Mail or Outlook 2016 in droves.

My guess is that Thunderbird and a number of the other third-party e-mail clients will end up supporting whatever protocol it is that Microsoft's cooked up if they make the access method public.   If not, well, they deserve to lose every e-mail subscriber that chooses to bolt.

Brian, who doesn't hate web-based e-mail but who works with a lot of blind and visually-impaired people whose assistive technology works much better with e-mail client programs

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Ofcourse, if this had happened on any older windows(xp/vista/7/8/8.1) operating system then users could just reject the KB....... update that changed the settings and made them unable to disable the store. The problem with an operating system where users can't reject unwanted updates becomes very plain to see when things like this happen. The same argument goes for ms making cortana only work with edge+bing, on any older OS users could just say no by refusing the update which made the changes.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:58 AM

The world does seem to be moving (getting pushed?) away from client-based email to web (cloud) based solutions instead.

Trouble is, when you like everything local (because you know you'll only ever be accessing it from that one computer and it's quicker for you to get it that way) then a client email program is essential.

Thank goodness that the days of web-based email where you spend ages crafting your email, hit Send, and then get an Internet drop-out resulting in the loss of your hard work are long gone, but even so - Web mail is always clumsy in my view, and works only on a "necessary evil" basis.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users