Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Kind of Deployment/Cloning Software....

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jefferj54

jefferj54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:28 PM

...do you use for your labs or for work? Is there a way to use PXE without having to go into the BIOS of each computer? Do you find third party software easier to use, rather than WDS? Of course Microsoft never makes anything easy (case in point, having to find an effective solution to deploy without having to convert the Windows 10 install.esd file to .wim). Anyhow, what are your recommendations for deployment/cloning? Appreciate it.

Cordially,

joe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

If I understand some of your expert-level post, I recommend Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect Pro or Image for Windows.  They all have strengths over the others, they have their learning curves.  Depending upon the Nuts&Bolts of deployment, one of those three just may be your best choice.  Of course, there are many more free or pay-for choices on The 'Net.  I only use three.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 May 2016 - 10:13 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:22 AM

If, as I recommend, you elect to get backup software, there are many good choices. I personally use and recommend Macrium Reflect or EaseUS Todo .

#4 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

I actually use two different cloning software in day to day environments.

For the one off of needing to clone harddisk or create a full image backup I use Acronis True Image. It works fantastically well. Burn the ISO to dvd and boot to it. Really simple to use. Not too many options.

For the more advanced or recurring backups I would suggest Storagecraft SPX. This software is the real deal. I use it for local businesses for disaster backup and recovery as a service. Has the ability to do AES 256-bit encryption as well as different compression options. With this I set it up for weekly automated backups (which I then get an alert email stating if it was successful or failed). It has more advanced options, but that does what I need to accomplish.

Regardless.. you should set up a reminder on your calendar to check your backups at a set frequency. Software and hardware fails. Your backup is only as good as your ability to verify that they functioned properly.

Another (free) option would be CloneZilla. I haven't used it myself but have colleagues who swear by it.

Good luck! If there is enough request maybe I will make some how-to videos for both of the solutions I use. Any interest?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

"...If there is enough request maybe I will make some how-to videos for both of the solutions I use. Any interest?"

Absolutely I'm interested!  I will gladly bookmark any youtube video you make of the above products.  One can always learn more about backups, restores, safeguarding images, etc.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

VincePolston:  https://buy.storagecraft.com/  --- their descriptions of their software is so advanced I would have no idea what to buy for 3 computers.  I hope our thread starter gets what's needed and wanted.

#7 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

Absolutely I'm interested!  I will gladly bookmark any youtube video you make of the above products.  One can always learn more about backups, restores, safeguarding images, etc.

You got it! I appreciate that. We are in the process of moving our shop so things are crazy.. but you have my word I will do so. I have had plans to start a YouTube channel for some time. I'm excited. I will have a huge office that is going to give me plenty of room for a nice set up. Sorry not trying to derail the thread. I will be sure to let you know once they are up :thumbsup:

Back on topic though. You are completely right. They need to hire somebody who talks good old fashioned english to re-write their product sales pages, lol. If the OP doesn't mind doing things manually than I agree with you that Acronis would be a great solution. It is definitely more budget friendly. :) 

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

Vince, if I understand deployment correctly, that would include also using a master OS image [whether whole hard-drive or OS partition] for planting Windows on any new workstation and laptop coming in, correct?  If so, would most companies be better off purchasing volume retail Windows licenses?  Naturally, rebuilding an existing computer with an already existing product key is a separate matter.

#9 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

Hey Roland,

I was actually referring to the cloning portion of the OP's question; not for the deployment portion. 

What I meant was that after the computer OS is loaded and drivers, applications, etc are set up, I would recommend creating an image based backup. That way if a fresh load is needed (be it from infection or failed HD) than pulling from the most recent backup would get you back up and going as though nothing every happened. If you go the StorageCraft route you can even spin up the backup as a VM.

In regards to volume licensing I wish I had a better grasp on that myself. I know the basics but for the company I work for we just do regular OEM licenses one-by-one for system builds. As you had said earlier one can always learn more. That is what I love about this field!! Having a better deployment process would greatly benefit me. I just haven't made time to study that more.

I'd be open and looking for what others have to say about deployment strategies. I think what you said was correct; that is my understanding as well. I just don't have enough know how on that portion to give recommendations. :)

#10 jefferj54

jefferj54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

"...If there is enough request maybe I will make some how-to videos for both of the solutions I use. Any interest?"

Absolutely I'm interested!  I will gladly bookmark any youtube video you make of the above products.  One can always learn more  about backups, restores, safeguarding images, etc.

Yes definitely. Thank you. I'm the one who started these problems, LOL. If you could, a how-to-multicasting video would be appreciated. There have been some YouTube attempts, but these attempts have been terribly incomplete.

#11 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

Yes definitely. Thank you. I'm the one who started these problems, LOL. If you could, a how-to-multicasting video would be appreciated. There have been some YouTube attempts, but these attempts have been terribly incomplete.

You got it! I am proficient enough with Acronis and Storagecraft to do videos on the cloning / backups portion. In regards to the multicasting you are completely right. I did some quick searching and none of the videos were great. I believe that Storagecraft and CloneZilla can both multicast -although I have never done it. Let me set up a lab and learn it first and then I can make some videos. I also know that Acronis has a software called Snap Deploy that is made for OS deployment. I will probably download that and try it as well. I have never done multicasting. I can see a huge benefit though.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

In this thread's context, what is multicasting?

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

Taken from a Microsoft page but the concept is this...

Multicast transmissions make the image available for multicasting, which enables you to deploy an image to a large number of client computers without overburdening the network. When you deploy an image using multicasting, the image is sent over the network only once, which can drastically reduce the amount of network bandwidth that is used.

Edited by SleepyDude, 24 June 2016 - 10:11 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#14 jefferj54

jefferj54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

Hi,

Taken from a Microsoft page but the concept is this...

Multicast transmissions make the image available for multicasting, which enables you to deploy an image to a large number of client computers without overburdening the network. When you deploy an image using multicasting, the image is sent over the network only once, which can drastically reduce the amount of network bandwidth that is used.

Further Simplistic Example: An image of a Windows XP/7/8/10, Mac OSX, or Unix/Linux operating system (depending upon the functions of the imaging software), can be placed upon a server computer to be duplicated to many client computers on a network. joe.

Edited by jefferj54, 27 June 2016 - 06:45 AM.

#15 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

Good luck! If there is enough request maybe I will make some how-to videos for both of the solutions I use. Any interest?

I'm also interested and looking forward to your video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users