Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse for Linux

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

I have had a logitech mx revolution for many years....really nice fit to my hand....had a few dramas from time to time with software/drivers screwing up....but nothing to keep me awake at nights.

Fast forward.....Installed linux mint 17.3....cinnamon desktop......

No drivers for the search function on the mouse......this is important to me

(the logitech driver for windows is Set Point)....HERE

Also no ability to alter scroll function etc etc

What does everybody else use and why ?

I would love to be able to find a driver etc to have the mx play nicely again....,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:48 PM

I use Microsoft arc touch mouse no drivers needed.

These may be of some help.

http://mangel312.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/configure-logitech-mx-revolution-extra.html

https://x4dev.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/howto-logitech-mx-revolution-on-ubuntu/

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:23 PM

Hopefully you can get that working with what Nick posted.

I use a Logitech M525 middle of the road mouse with smooth scroll, no indexing.  Works well with no configuration or drivers.  No real advanced functions that I know of.  The scrolling wheel does move right and left also but don't use it much.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:16 AM

I use some kind of wireless Logitech and I have never had any problems, even with some obscure Linux distros.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

I have a logictech m205 wireless that sometimes works perfectly and other times not at all or half works, no ryme or reason.  My scrool whell only goes up or down no side to side.  No drivers need but also no other options that could be changed either.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

Update :

Seeing I wanted/need something a little upmarket rather than a bog standard mouse.....I elected to go with the only mouse I could find with programmable buttons which actually has DRIVERS for LINUX

Roccat Kone Pure Color Edition Polar Blue Core Performance Gaming Mouse

and as you can see at the bottom of THIS PAGE  

.....there is a download for LINUX drivers...

Life is good.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:43 AM

Ironically enough I had more luck with Microsoft mice under Linux as the key bindings on a Microsoft mouse are close to that on their keyboards which also function well under linux

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:50 AM

While I think I will be quite happy with the mouse I have purchased......I am still somewhat gobsmacked by the fact that a mouse with drivers specifically for Linux is either not available   (or incredibly hard to find)

With the number of linux installations which are already out there, it occurs to me that the economics of either writing the necessary code or manufacturing a specific mouse for Linux would have to have to reasonable.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:40 AM

Update :

Seeing I wanted/need something a little upmarket rather than a bog standard mouse.....I elected to go with the only mouse I could find with programmable buttons which actually has DRIVERS for LINUX

Roccat Kone Pure Color Edition Polar Blue Core Performance Gaming Mouse

and as you can see at the bottom of THIS PAGE  

.....there is a download for LINUX drivers...

Life is good.

Now, THAT's interesting.

I use any mouse I can get my hands on (nearly all wireless, except in the garage) where the batteries haven't run flat - except for Elaine's ... if I did there would be blood on the streets.

While I think I will be quite happy with the mouse I have purchased......I am still somewhat gobsmacked by the fact that a mouse with drivers specifically for Linux is either not available   (or incredibly hard to find)

With the number of linux installations which are already out there, it occurs to me that the economics of either writing the necessary code or manufacturing a specific mouse for Linux would have to have to reasonable.

...True. Now if you can just convince the manufacturers to forsake their cosy little deals with Redmond and the like, they could have a viable "niche" market whom would pay the pesos to get a useful product?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz - right behind you, Brian! :thumbsup:

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

I've been using a Logitech ZoneTouch T400 for a few years now. Nicest mouse I've ever owned. It doesn't have a scroll 'wheel', as such; it uses a 'mini-touchpad', or 'stroke-strip', as I call it. Capable of horizontal scrolling, as well as the usual stuff. Yes, in Windows you've got to d/l 80 MB-worth of Logitech's SetPoint software to enable all this.....and then half the time it doesn't work.

Under Linux, this is supported OOTB (which is brilliant!) In most of them, that is. Some of my Puppies support it, others don't. Is it possible to run the SetPoint software.....and how could you go about it? Any ideas, anyone? Would it work under WINE?

Thoughts?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 June 2016 - 03:57 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:11 AM

I tried Wine......(and at this point I must admit i am not the sharpest pencil in the pack when it comes to figuring something like this out).......and that was a no go with set point. I also tried a program called Crossover...again no go.

My son tried the same  (and he is WAY sharper than me !)....and also had no success. So he too bought a Roccat.

My logitech revolution mx stands gathering dust....as far as mice go it was the love of my life.

I will report back here on the pros and cons of the Roccat Kone Pure Core Performance  Mouse

....and Welcome to BC mate !!

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

I tried Wine......(and at this point I must admit i am not the sharpest pencil in the pack when it comes to figuring something like this out).......and that was a no go with set point. I also tried a program called Crossover...again no go.

Can't use drivers in wine...

See this

Wine doesn't support USB yet, and it also doesn't support installing device drivers. So no, you can't use it to install Logitech drivers for Windows on Linux.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

Wine doesnt support USB? well better tell my keyboard, mouse and my xbox360 controller that, both work fine under Wine

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

I don't think you're looking at that the right way Madman. Wine doesn't support USB installations but your native drivers are still active on your system, is what it means.

Otherwise the whole premise would be flawed and there would be no Wine.

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:53 AM

Hey Brian, want to come for a wee wander and perform an exercise with me?

I could call it an “x-ercise” but I don’t make bad puns. :hysterical:

You may know by now that “X” governs the visual experience we have with the Linux Desktop and applications. X is administered by x.org, not surprisingly.

One of the handy tools with X for your toolkit is called

xinput

At terminal, you can read more about it by entering

man xinput

At time of writing, I am working out of Ubuntu 16.04 MATE, but xinput ships with all Debian-based Distros I know of, including Mint. Likewise with RPM-based ones, eg Fedora 23 I use. On some Distros/in some families, it needs to be, but can be installed from elsewhere (I also use Gentoo-based [Sabayon] and Arch-based [Manjaro]), had to put it on one of them.

If you want to come along for the ride (and this is on-Topic), I am going to re-map some mouse functions/keys/buttons using xinput and my wife’s Logitech M560.

If you are interested, sing out and we will go further.

If not, no probs, and I can use the work I have done so far to go into a Tutorial on xinput and related commands.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - if you choose to try this, just remind me if you have more than one Linux besides your Rosa Cinnamon in your repertoire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users