Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone installed ubuntu to run along with win10?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 daveycrockett

daveycrockett

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

I was told by a tech guy that win10 will not run alongside of ubuntu? My machine is a 6 yr old samsung, 32 bit - I dont have all the specs as HDD is out of it and it is not running. Just curious as to how people have made out with using the 2 os's on one machine.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 May 2016 - 05:30 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

I was told by a tech guy that win10 will not run alongside of ubuntu?

The tech guy don't know what he is talking about, Ubuntu can run alongside Windows 10. The only reason that it couldnt run Win10 is because the machine is too old or something like that.

Can you please give us your PC specs?

Edited by NickAu, 05 May 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

I currently have Linux Mint 17.3 on the same hard drive as windows 10.....they have their own partitions of course......when I start the pc  i make a choice in 'grub' whether to boot to win 10 or to linux mint.

Couldn't be simpler....and there is absolutely NO adverse reaction in Win 10......or in linux mint either

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

I read somewhere that, when dual-booting Windows and Linux, you need to make sure that Windows is installed first and then install Linux on a separate partition afterwards.

Whether that's still the case or applicable to Ubuntu / Windows I don't know, but may be worth bearing in mind.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,411 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:32 AM

Yes Windows needs to be first.

Couldn't be simpler....and there is absolutely NO adverse reaction in Win 10......or in linux mint either

Yup If Condo got it anybody can :hysterical:

Edited by NickAu, 06 May 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

I was told by a tech guy that win10 will not run alongside of ubuntu? My machine is a 6 yr old samsung, 32 bit...

Maybe he meant that Ubuntu will run on your machine but Windows 10 wont.  When you have the specs for your machine we might be in a better position to say more.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

I dont have all the specs as HDD is out of it and it is not running.

Won't hurt to post up the Make and Model, along with a link if you have one to the exact model, same hardware.  Let the fun begin!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

I have ran two Ubuntu installations side-by-side with two Windows 10 installations as part of a much larger multi-boot scenario. Of course one of the Ubuntu's was a beta preview and one of the Windows 10 was a beta preview. Now I just have three distros installed; Ubuntu 16.04, Windows 10 preview and Linux Mint 17.3.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

I was told by a tech guy that win10 will not run alongside of ubuntu?

The tech guy don't know what he is talking about, Ubuntu can run alongside Windows 10. The only reason that it couldnt run Win10 is because the machine is too old or something like that.

Can you please give us your PC specs?

Thanks for all info. When doing the install of Ubuntu at about the 4th screen, I was not given the option to install alongside of win10. So well, when I get the machine running again I will give you guys the specs. I live up in west central BC, Canada. I took my hard drive into a shop to get data moved to an external, just a gong show and waste of time and my $$. I have had nothing but problems since installing win10, but win7 was a constant screw up as well. I've been running kaspersky a/v and I swear that microsoft has done everything possible to make the two incompatible and I blame that for a lot of issues I have had..

While I am blathering here, and this is a separate issue, is there some magic trick to get this 10 year old acer with a 40 gig hd and a gig or so of ram to run a canon 4570 series printer? I connect to the printer, the computer recognizes it, but I cannot get past that.

Edited by daveycrockett, 06 May 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:48 AM

With that old machine I would not even attempt Windows 10, you barely meet the minimum requirements and it might not run very well. I actually would just use that old machine with a nice installation of Lubuntu. After you install Lubuntu your printer issues will be easier to deal with.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:52 AM

I read somewhere that, when dual-booting Windows and Linux, you need to make sure that Windows is installed first and then install Linux on a separate partition afterwards.

Whether that's still the case or applicable to Ubuntu / Windows I don't know, but may be worth bearing in mind.

If on the same drive, yes. Yet one can still add a drive, if there's space for one, and remove the one running Linux. Install Windows 10 (or any Windows OS), update, shutdown & reconnect the drive that contains the Linux install. Be sure in the BIOS or UEFI to make the drive containing the Linux install to boot first. 

Then once booted into the Linux OS, run the following command in the Terminal & type password when prompted. This will detect your Windows install & will show on the Grub screen on the next boot. 

sudo update-grub

The output will look somewhat like mine, though should say Windows 10 rather than 8. 

cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~ $ sudo update-grub

[sudo] password for cat: 
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-32-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-32-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 8 (loader) on /dev/sda1
done
cat@cat-XPS-8700 ~ $ 

That's all there is to it, as long as you have two drives, and don't forget to disconnect the Linux one before installing 10, or the bootloader will be overwritten. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:07 AM

I'm sorry daveycrockett, is that a 32 bit or a 64 bit machine? With your specs have you considered Puppy Linux?

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

With that old machine I would not even attempt Windows 10, you barely meet the minimum requirements and it might not run very well. I actually would just use that old machine with a nice installation of Lubuntu. After you install Lubuntu your printer issues will be easier to deal with.

The 10 year old acer is my back up computer with linux lite which will not run a printer which is my secondary issue - I would never attempt win10 on it, however, it should run the printer. The computer with win10 on which i'm having all the other problems is a six year old 32 bit samsung with loads of ram and hd space. I wont have the other specs on it until I get win10 reinstalled.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

We're all here to help you. Some of the nice folks here will guide you to a nice "lite" distro and can hopefully assist you with the printer problems.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

I recently set up a new laptop that came with Win 7 Pro, for another individual.

I repartitioned the HDD to shrink the W7 and added 2 ext4 partitions for root and home, and a linux swap partition.

I then upgraded it to Window 10, and then installed Xubuntu 14.

The fellow loves it.  Uses Xubuntu more than Win10, but needs Windows for some work applications.

Cheers!

Naught

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users