Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

constant ip address conflicts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 andpprice

andpprice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

I share wifi in my apartment with my bro. I have windows ten on my pc and he runs an ipad for internet. Fairly often then internet shuts down and we have to restart the modem/router to get it running again. Ive noticed recently that many times this happens i get a message that another machine has the same ip address.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 May 2016 - 06:28 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

This is caused by the router resetting its Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) table.  It doesn't remember the IP addresses that have already been assigned and reassigns them to a different device.

You can resolve the issue by opening a command prompt, search for CMD.  Then type IPCONFIG /RELEASE and press return.  Then type IPCONFIG /RENEW and press return.  The issue should be resolved.

You could also set up DHCP reservations on the router.  This would assign your devices the same address every time they connect.  The process to do this will vary by router, but isn't difficult.

#3 dylanlangdon

dylanlangdon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:54 AM

Many brands of home broadband routers nowadays have the common IP address. For example, D-Link and Netgear routers have the ip address 192.168.0.1 these days. If you are a user of a router, then you have to verify whether your router has this IP address or not. You can login to your router’s administration panel by using its IP address. You can take note of various factors associated with your router manufactured by any reputable company when you look at the user manual. You can find the IP address of a router by using the following details. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users