Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition/GRUB set-up for Mint 17/Mate 16.04 dual boot

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hello all,

This really has more to do with GRUB, I believe I have the partitioning end mostly figured out. 

Starting point is having Mint already set up as preferred.  What I'd like to do is then install the Mate partition without it overwriting Mint's grub if possible, then hopefully go back into Mint, and run the "update grub" command so it will see Mate.  The part I can't seem to find anything on is preventing Mate from installing it's bootloader.

Is this feasable?  Am I dreaming?  :scratchhead: :deadhorse:

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

What is your Partitioning with Mint?  I would post the output of this command or/and post a shot of gparted.

sudo parted -l

What I always do is just install and let it over-write grub, which is fine if all you want is a dual boot all on same drive.  This will make Mate the default OS to load, but you will have the choice to boot Mint also during startup.  Then if wanted, you can Edit Grub after install to make Mint Default boot, also with the option to choose Mate at startup.

This is a good time to think about a Partition scheme to allow the use of Timeshift.

Edited by pcpunk, 05 May 2016 - 07:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

What is your Partitioning with Mint?  I would post the output of this command or/and post a shot of gparted.

Why whats the point?

#4 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

@pcpunk

Right now Mint is just a 40gb root partition (no swap or home)-the rest is unallocated.

@Nick

The reason I'm playing with this idea has to do with some kind of weird graphics issue on boots/restarts.  (Screen flashes, "auto processing" messages, etc.)

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

Why whats the point?

Because now we know what the current partitioning is so that we can improve on it if 66Batmobile wants to do so?  But because there is no other info. posted we really don't know the whole story or how much room we are dealing with?

We now know we could improve Mint by adding a Partition to store Timeshift Backups on if 66 want's to go that route, and to go with Root and home for the next Mate install to do the same with Timeshift.

The reason I'm playing with this idea has to do with some kind of weird graphics issue on boots/restarts.  (Screen flashes, "auto processing" messages, etc.)

Not sure about this one and don't know if you are thinking a different distro will maybe fix it?  This might be better as a new topic, post your specs and provide more info if possible. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

I guess the way to describe what I'm seeing is that as the computer boots, every time it cycles to a new screen (i.e from the Gateway splash/post screen to the grub menu to the "LM" screen) the monitor flashes between each one like it's trying to find the signal from the pc.  When I installed Ubuntu, that was another flash.  As far as I can tell the graphics card (intel 2nd gen integrated) is fine, and I don't have another VGA cord to compare with.

As for this idea, I was trying to figure out if keeping Mint's grub, and adding Mate to it instead of overwriting it, would keep everything cycling in a straight line so to speak.  I read something along these lines before, but I can't find the article again to save my life.

Once the machine is into whatever partition is chosen it seems fine otherwise, so perhaps this is another molehill issue?  It was doing the same thing with Ubuntu 14.04 installed, so I just figured I'd try to straighten it out while installing Mate.  Maybe I'm making too much of this.

Edited by 66Batmobile, 06 May 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

I guess the way to describe what I'm seeing is that as the computer boots, every time it cycles to a new screen (i.e from the Gateway splash/post screen to the grub menu to the "LM" screen) the monitor flashes between each one like it's trying to find the signal from the pc.

I see what your saying now, unfortunately not sure about the "flashes" part.  That does sound like a Driver thing but this is just a guess from some I've seen flashing at boot.  I think that should be another Thread with the graphics information supplied. 

I don't think this is normal, you may want to wait and get it fixed before another install.  Sounds like some old Grub2 boot stuff laying around.  You didn't say in this post but I think you had another distro on there as a dual boot before right?  And that is why you are seeing Grub2, maybe because you didn't Edit and Update Grub2 afterwards?  The Gateway Splash is normal but I think that can be removed if one wants.  

So when setup properly with dual boot you should see:

1. Gateway

2. Grub

3. LM Splash

With a Single boot you would only see #1 and #3

My single boot system goes right to Mint, and if dual booting goes to Grub2.  The only thing I have before Mint, is a little swirling Icon that I believe is an HP thing - built in to the BIOS - before Mint Splash screen, similar to your Gateway Splash.

Wait for some help to get Grub2 Edited and Updated.

Edited by pcpunk, 06 May 2016 - 08:06 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

@pcpunk

You didn't say in this post but I think you had another distro on there as a dual boot before right?

Just to clarify, right now it's a single boot Mint so grub is not appearing, as in your post.  Previously was Mint/Ubuntu 14.04.

It just seems like something to keep an eye on.  I'm probably being overly cautious, but I'm still recovering from the "if it moves too slowly or doesn't move smoothly something's wrong" alarm bell that using Windows puts in ones head. :crazy:

Much obliged for the info :thumbsup2:

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

Gotcha, confusing because you said:

every time it cycles to a new screen (i.e from the Gateway splash/post screen to the grub menu to the "LM" screen)

And I'm probably wrong about the "flashes" part also.  Problems I've seen are more of a Flickering at boot, so that might be normal.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

Who knows?  It's a Gateway (Acer) monitor, and apparently some of them can have buggy issues like this one.  I was originally thinking it needed some sort of re-set or command to try to force it to sync with the graphics card, and at some point came across something about how the boot loader is set up affecting it.  That's how I wound up with this idea.

Edited by 66Batmobile, 06 May 2016 - 09:04 PM.

#11 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:04 AM

grub is low level, interactions with the monitor are likely through BIOS calls, typically in some sort of default mode (I'm assuming you're not booting UEFI on this?).  Then grub loads the kernel, starts that up.  Kernel does hardware detection, starts to load drivers (very early stuff may make BIOS calls).  Eventually the monitor device gets setup in the kernel, the "mode" is picked (640x480 vs 1920x1080 or some such).  Switching between these modes you will often seen weird effects on a monitor, flashing is one of them.  Most of the current distributions/kernels will do a probe of the hardware, basically asking "what are you and what can you do?"  Probing can definitely cause odd visuals.  

Your "originally thinking..." is roughly correct;  probing and switching modes typically gets a resync.  Analog inputs have more visual effects than digital ones (typically).

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:39 AM

Analog inputs have more visual effects than digital ones (typically).

In many respects & not just that of computers, analog signals has one advantage over digital, these may fade, yet not always break completely. A good example of this was crossing under a bridge & the radio (or cell phone) would fade, and kick right back in. With digital, the signal is there or it's not. 

So for anyone that still has some useful analog accessories, it's good to take care of these, as the shift to digital, even with computer monitors, is accelerating. Displayport has taken over DVI even in the consumer market & we know that that means, VGA is getting kicked to the curb. Many computers no longer has a VGA port, only HDMI & DP, and DVI-I & DVI-D on discrete cards. Though adapters for VGA are still plentiful & cheap, many computers may have a HDMI to VGA converter included, as well as some monitors, oddly even if these doesn't have a VGA (sometimes called RGB) port. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video#RGB_analog_component_video

@66Batmobile

This may also depend on the graphics that you have. built in, or a dedicated card. By chance if AMD graphics, you'll have some issues with Ubuntu 16.04 that's yet to be fixed (hopefully will be soon). Since you didn't mention which brand of graphics you have, felt it best to add this information. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the help all. I appear to have gotten most of it! :bananas: :clapping: :thumbup2: 

After looking for complicated commands, partition-particulars, or ridiculous re-sets, one pass with Boot Repair Disk to reinstall GRUB apparently straightened some of it out.  Instead of multiple flashes/flickers it only does it once between spalsh screens now.  Maybe some leftover ghosts from previous installs like pcpunk suggested?

@cat

Machine has Intel 2nd gen integrated graphics/Intel i3 2100 processor-when I was playing with MATE I didn't see anything funky other than what was in my other thread about that.  The issue I was talking about in this thread had been going on for a while.

As always much obliged :thumbsup2:

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

Machine has Intel 2nd gen integrated graphics/Intel i3 2100 processor-when I was playing with MATE I didn't see anything funky other than what was in my other thread about that.  The issue I was talking about in this thread had been going on for a while.

As always much obliged  :thumbsup2:

That's OK, unless am following recent Topics of users for a particular reason, whatever is in those Topics stays there, and treat new ones with the provided information. :)

Because I hadn't been following your Topics enough to know what computer you have, let alone it's specs, had no idea until you posted above. That's why I posted the warning about 16.04, if I don't know what one has, won't attempt to assume. Fortunately, Intel is a safe choice for most everyone. 

Thank you for being a valued member & contributor to our Community! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

@cat

"Contributor"?

:blink:  :lmao: :hysterical:

At this point, I'm just glad everybody here has the patience for my questions.  :bowdown: :thumbsup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users