Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this combo good in windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 boadicea

boadicea

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Kaspersky Internet Security 2016

then on demand malwarebytes/combo fire wall (free)

then ublock plugin for browser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Most Internet Security products include anti-virus and firewall protection plus various other features depending on the software vendor...and for those reasons it is called a Security suite.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources...leaving a larger footprint...and they typically cost more money. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality, more effective at what they are designed to do and leave a smaller footprint. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

Most Internet Security products include anti-virus and firewall protection plus various other features depending on the software vendor...and for those reasons it is called a Security suite.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources...leaving a larger footprint...and they typically cost more money. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality, more effective at what they are designed to do and leave a smaller footprint. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.

i currently use windows firewall, and have a linksys router(not dd-wrt yet) and am sensible about where im browsing. i use free avast and malwarebytes with windows firewall in 10. avast seems to take a significant amount of resources for me. and im just looking potentially to getting a paid version if the benefits outweigh the free for me.

while not suites which solutions would you suggest?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

avast has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years.If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

For those who do not mind a paid for product, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#5 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

avast has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years.

If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

For those who do not mind a paid for product, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Thank you, i have used nod32 back in the early 2000s, i liked it then. Good to know the micro center guy wasnt just feeding be b/s about the avast taking up more resources then eset. Bitdefender free but not paid you suggest? ill look at eset and kaspersky for sure.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

ESET Antivirus uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity and uses a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. Further, it does not conflict with other security programs I use on my computers. You may want to read the following.ESET also has the added advantage of blocking the installation of Potentially Unsafe Applications (PUAs), Potentially Unwanted Application/Unwanted Content and most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

ESET offers a 30-day free trial for all their products.

#7 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

ESET Antivirus uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity and uses a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. Further, it does not conflict with other security programs I use on my computers. You may want to read the following.

ESET also has the added advantage of blocking the installation of Potentially Unsafe Applications (PUAs), Potentially Unwanted Application/Unwanted Content and most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

ESET offers a 30-day free trial for all their products.

Great information! I will be looking at eset antivirus paid, malwarebytes premium to start, hopefully im not missing anything else.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

I use the following programs to supplement my anti-virus for additional security:To protect my browser and help prevent advertisements & block websites, I use the following:

#9 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

I use the following programs to supplement my anti-virus for additional security:

To protect my browser and help prevent advertisements & block websites, I use the following:

with ur eset u still use all of those everyday? I'm trying the free trial of bitdefender IS 2016 atm and have downloaded both free mwb/mwb AE. I will be trying eset and Kaspersky respectively after.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

Yes I use them all.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

#11 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:38 PM

Yes I use them all.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

okay iam not sure if this will all run on my mothers old hp laptop but the bitdefender IS and mwb anti exploit are ok and the on demand regular mwb am is smooth.

which of your programs are realtime and which are on demand?? you use smart security eset or just the antivirus with your aforementioned solutions?

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:47 AM

Just ESET Antivirus.

Adblock Edge, uBlock, Ghostery and Add-on Update Checker are just add-ons for your browser.

SpywareBlaster is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". It prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies. SpywareBlaster allows you to create a System Snapshot...an image of various system settings. This feature can be used to restore important browser and system settings to their previous state if your computer is ever infected with spyware or altered by unwanted programs. Under the Tools section Hosts Safe allows you to store encrypted backup copies of the HOSTS file which can be used to restore (roll-back to a previous state) if the HOSTS file becomes corrupted or altered by malware infection. Other settings allow you to disable and block Flash in Internet Explorer, add Custom Blocking and more.

CryptoPrevent is a security tool that writes 200+ group policy object rules into the registry in order to prevent executables in specific locations from running. CryptoPrevent can be used to lock down any Windows OS to prevent infection by crypto ransomware which encrypts personal files and then offers decryption for a paid ransom. CryptoPrevent artificially implants hundreds of group policy object rules into the registry in order to block executables (*.exe, *.com *.scr and *.pif) and fake file extension executables in certain locations (i.e. %AppData%, %LocalAppData%, %userprofile%, %programdata%, Recycle Bin, Startup Folder) from running. Due to the way that CryptoPrevent works, it protects against a wide variety of malware and ransomware. There are several levels of protection but most users only need to use the default setting - "Set it and forget it" protection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application (behavior based) that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against, the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks. MBAE provides four layers of exploit protection to include application hardening, protection against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, and application behavior protection. MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application.

WinPatrol is a versatile program (originally released by Bill Pytlovany/BillP Studios on November 19, 1997 and now owned by Ruiware, LLC) that monitors important system areas that are commonly altered by malware. This includes the startup groups (registry and startup folder), cookies and active tasks. WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. The program is split into two components. WinPatrol.exe is the real-time component which monitors for system changes and displays the Scotty icon in the taskbar. WinPatrolEx.exe (WinPatrol Explorer) provides the main tabbed interface which allows you to review all the various tabs by double-clicking the Scotty icon in the taskbar.

WinPatrol utilizes a small memory footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources...and offers many features such as:
  • Takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur.
  • Tracks programs that have been installed on your system and monitor the location Windows uses to store Uninstall information.
  • Serves as a Startup Manager which works much better than MSConfig.
  • Has the ability to delay the launch of a Startup program.
  • Alerts to changes in programs that run at startup.
  • Alerts if another program has removed a Startup program.
  • Detects and alerts to changes in Internet Explorer Home and Search pages.
  • Allows viewing, management and deletion of Cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla based browsers.
  • Monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.
WinPatrol PLUS provides high performance, Real-time Infiltration Detection, registry monitoring and locking, and access to the PLUS Info database. It requires a one time fee for all future versions (updates) and a single license is valid on all your personal desktops and laptops. See How To Activate WinPatrol PLUS features.

#13 boadicea

boadicea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

Just ESET Antivirus.

Adblock Edge, uBlock, Ghostery and Add-on Update Checker are just add-ons for your browser.

SpywareBlaster is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". It prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies. SpywareBlaster allows you to create a System Snapshot...an image of various system settings. This feature can be used to restore important browser and system settings to their previous state if your computer is ever infected with spyware or altered by unwanted programs. Under the Tools section Hosts Safe allows you to store encrypted backup copies of the HOSTS file which can be used to restore (roll-back to a previous state) if the HOSTS file becomes corrupted or altered by malware infection. Other settings allow you to disable and block Flash in Internet Explorer, add Custom Blocking and more.

CryptoPrevent is a security tool that writes 200+ group policy object rules into the registry in order to prevent executables in specific locations from running. CryptoPrevent can be used to lock down any Windows OS to prevent infection by crypto ransomware which encrypts personal files and then offers decryption for a paid ransom. CryptoPrevent artificially implants hundreds of group policy object rules into the registry in order to block executables (*.exe, *.com *.scr and *.pif) and fake file extension executables in certain locations (i.e. %AppData%, %LocalAppData%, %userprofile%, %programdata%, Recycle Bin, Startup Folder) from running. Due to the way that CryptoPrevent works, it protects against a wide variety of malware and ransomware. There are several levels of protection but most users only need to use the default setting - "Set it and forget it" protection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application (behavior based) that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against, the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks. MBAE provides four layers of exploit protection to include application hardening, protection against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, and application behavior protection. MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application.

WinPatrol is a versatile program (originally released by Bill Pytlovany/BillP Studios on November 19, 1997 and now owned by Ruiware, LLC) that monitors important system areas that are commonly altered by malware. This includes the startup groups (registry and startup folder), cookies and active tasks. WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. The program is split into two components. WinPatrol.exe is the real-time component which monitors for system changes and displays the Scotty icon in the taskbar. WinPatrolEx.exe (WinPatrol Explorer) provides the main tabbed interface which allows you to review all the various tabs by double-clicking the Scotty icon in the taskbar.

WinPatrol utilizes a small memory footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources...and offers many features such as:

• Takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur.
  • Tracks programs that have been installed on your system and monitor the location Windows uses to store Uninstall information.
  • Serves as a Startup Manager which works much better than MSConfig.
  • Has the ability to delay the launch of a Startup program.
  • Alerts to changes in programs that run at startup.
  • Alerts if another program has removed a Startup program.
  • Detects and alerts to changes in Internet Explorer Home and Search pages.
  • Allows viewing, management and deletion of Cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla based browsers.
  • Monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.
WinPatrol PLUS provides high performance, Real-time Infiltration Detection, registry monitoring and locking, and access to the PLUS Info database. It requires a one time fee for all future versions (updates) and a single license is valid on all your personal desktops and laptops. See How To Activate WinPatrol PLUS features.

ahh ok thank you!! :D I will try eset directly after this bitdefender trial, then kaspersky after. What kind of schedule do you make of your complimentary solutions? You have real-time eset which means you dont need malwarebytes anti-exploit as youve mentioned it already has protection there.

Then the browser add-ons are an easy install and remain there.

For spyblaster, cryptoprevent, win patrol/plus those you manually have to start each time you log in? It be nice to make a task scheduler to run those!? possibly

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

WinPatrol PLUS adds a startup entry to the registry so it loads when Windows starts and shows an icon in the system tray. You only need to install SpywareBlaster and CryptoPrevent...no further action is required except to periodically check for updates, download & enable them.

Yes I do use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free with ESET since it protects the following applications: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Java.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users