I'm fixing up an old laptop that had some issues for a friend's mother so she can check her email from home, but am having some problems.
I am running Vista Home Premium on a HP Pavillion dv900. It's my friends old laptop and was very sluggish and had problems because when he got a new computer to transfer his files over he dragged his user folder to a portable hard drive and then deleted after he was done with it. Because it had some other quirks I decided to just do a fresh install from the recovery partition. This went just fine. It's already much more responsive than before.
I started installing all of the updates for Windows and used Device Manager to find the driver updates, and most went ok, but the SP1 update said it would take about an hour to do and would restart the computer several times. Successfully installed it says. It was done in less than 5 minutes with no restarts. I thought this was strange, so I check for updates again and it says SP1 needs to be installed. So I guess it wasn't successful after all.
I clicked on View Update History and used the MS Fixit program linked there to troubleshoot problems with Windows Update. It finds 'Windows Update error 0x80070490(2016-05-05-T-05_07_37P)' and cannot fix it.
I see that I should try sfc/scannow from an elevated command prompt. It says 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them' and says it wrote a log file. The log file is not there, even after showing hidden files.
I saw someone else posted a similar problem and was directed to this MS support article about manually fixing corrupt files, so I try the section 'How to view details of the System File Checker process' and type:
into an elevated command prompt and it says: