Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install from recovery partiton; SP1 update problems, sfc doesn't make log file

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kateh

kateh

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

I'm fixing up an old laptop that had some issues for a friend's mother so she can check her email from home, but am having some problems.

I am running Vista Home Premium on a HP Pavillion dv900. It's my friends old laptop and was very sluggish and had problems because when he got a new computer to transfer his files over he dragged his user folder to a portable hard drive and then deleted after he was done with it. Because it had some other quirks I decided to just do a fresh install from the recovery partition. This went just fine. It's already much more responsive than before.

I started installing all of the updates for Windows and used Device Manager to find the driver updates, and most went ok, but the SP1 update said it would take about an hour to do and would restart the computer several times. Successfully installed it says. It was done in less than 5 minutes with no restarts. I thought this was strange, so I check for updates again and it says SP1 needs to be installed. So I guess it wasn't successful after all.

I clicked on View Update History and used the MS Fixit program linked there to troubleshoot problems with Windows Update. It finds 'Windows Update error 0x80070490(2016-05-05-T-05_07_37P)' and cannot fix it.

I see that I should try sfc/scannow from an elevated command prompt. It says 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them' and says it wrote a log file. The log file is not there, even after showing hidden files.

I saw someone else posted a similar problem and was directed to this MS support article about manually fixing corrupt files, so I try the section 'How to view details of the System File Checker process' and type:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
into an elevated command prompt and it says:
'FINDSTR: Cannot open %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log'

I don't know what to do now. I'm not very familiar with fixing Windows problems, but I  know very little at all about Visa. I need some step by step instructions. What else can I try to fix this error?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

Download and run the Vista Update Readiness tool. Note the tool is for 64bit. Then install the standalone SP1 installer you can download here. Then download and install SP2 here

#3 kateh

kateh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Download and run the Vista Update Readiness tool. Note the tool is for 64bit. Then install the standalone SP1 installer you can download here. Then download and install SP2 here

Ok I will try this and let you know. Thank you very much!

#4 kateh

kateh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

ok, the update readiness tool said that it did not apply to my system, so i'll try the sp1 installer next.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

Sorry, the update Readiness tool can only run on SP2.

#6 kateh

kateh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

ok apparently I have a 32 bit system. it took me a while to figure that out with vista. I'm downloading the 32 bit version standalone installers right now to try them.

thank you for your help.

#7 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Vista pre-SP1 was really, really bad.  Even on Vista certified laptops.  The easiest method IMHO is to download and install from wsusoffline:

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It takes a really long time to download all those updates but once downloaded whenever you grab the update it scans and just grabs the files that need to be updated a much shorter process.  [XP support ceased in version 9.2.1...but you can load it (two apps) in the same folder mark the app names with xp and run it when needed.]

Edited by Fascist Nation, 06 May 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#8 kateh

kateh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

ok, i got sp1 installed. i'm working on sp2 now.

thanks!

#9 kateh

kateh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

SP2 up and working. Seems everything is fixed now. Thanks so much everyone for your help!

(now to get the adware off my dad's PC; thought it was gone but came back in a few days)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Glad you finally have SP2. For your adware issues start a new thread in the "Am I Infected Forum". Somebody will take your through the required scans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users