Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner Removed Recipes From Notepad

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

OS Win 7 SP-1 7x64

I have used TFC for quite some time to remove temp files, cookies and other junkware. However, a lot of members talk about using

Ccleaner and comment how great it is. So, I  downloaded and installed the latest version from Bleeping Computer's downloads just to give it a whirl. Well, I ran it and it removed some recipes ( I had copied to Notepad ) as well as some things I had copied to Word.

Evidently I must not have looked closely at what it was about to delete and can't determine what to uncheck. TFC never deleted any of these.

So, what do I need to uncheck so this doesn't happen in the future ?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

I've been using CCleaner for a long time and that never happened to me.  It's very strange.  CCleaner is only suppose to clean temporary files.  Besides, if you go through the options, everything is fairly obvious.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

I use Ccleaner once a week and have had no issues with it for years.

You say docs you have copied to Notepad or Word have gone ?

EG:  A document , copied to say Notepad , is just that ! , Until you Save it to a specific Folder and Named before closing Notepad.

So i think if you did save it ...it will be there where you saved it.

Ccleaner does delete "Recent Places" and Recent files opened from Notepad / Word from the "Start" Menu / That Application you chose.

If all your saved stuff is saved correctly within "My Documents" etc or created Folders ...eg "Recipe Folder" they will still be there.

By Default install of Ccleaner , no files you have saved should be deleted or gone missing.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

By Default install of Ccleaner , no files you have saved should be deleted or gone missing.

Unless the recipies were saved to %TMP%... entirely possible.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

OS Win 7 SP-1 7x64

I have used TFC for quite some time to remove temp files, cookies and other junkware. However, a lot of members talk about using

Ccleaner and comment how great it is. So, I  downloaded and installed the latest version from Bleeping Computer's downloads just to give it a whirl. Well, I ran it and it removed some recipes ( I had copied to Notepad ) as well as some things I had copied to Word.

Evidently I must not have looked closely at what it was about to delete and can't determine what to uncheck. TFC never deleted any of these.

So, what do I need to uncheck so this doesn't happen in the future ?

TIA

Something is wrong capitally. It can do anything similar, this kind of thing does not happen never.

Obviously, there is something other a bit skewed.

If you have used CCleaner as it is, it is always absolutely safe. You need to be very professional, and only then you can change something, so that could be possible in any way damage occur. I think, You are simply good Magician...

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:22 PM

Well, the registry cleaner of CCleaner can cause damage, but that's a tale for another time...

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:25 AM

I've been using CCleaner for a long time and that never happened to me.  It's very strange.  CCleaner is only suppose to clean temporary files.  Besides, if you go through the options, everything is fairly obvious.

Well, that is what I thought.

I use Ccleaner once a week and have had no issues with it for years.

You say docs you have copied to Notepad or Word have gone ?

EG:  A document , copied to say Notepad , is just that ! , Until you Save it to a specific Folder and Named before closing Notepad.

So i think if you did save it ...it will be there where you saved it.

Ccleaner does delete "Recent Places" and Recent files opened from Notepad / Word from the "Start" Menu / That Application you chose.

If all your saved stuff is saved correctly within "My Documents" etc or created Folders ...eg "Recipe Folder" they will still be there.

After copying to Notepad and renaming I could always access and preview through clicking on the start orb. Now they are gone?

Well, the registry cleaner of CCleaner can cause damage, but that's a tale for another time...

Been a member here long enough to know not to utilize the registry cleaner.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

Something is wrong capitally. It can do anything similar, this kind of thing does not happen never.

Obviously, there is something other a bit skewed.

If you have used CCleaner as it is, it is always absolutely safe. You need to be very professional, and only then you can change something, so that could be possible in any way damage occur. I think, You are simply good Magician...

kaljukass, what do you mean by "You need to be very professional..." and "You are simply good Magician..."?

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

After copying to Notepad and renaming I could always access and preview through clicking on the start orb. Now they are gone?

sikntired, let's get something concrete to work with.  About the documents that CCleaner deleted, where did you save them?  What is the path to that location?  Example, C:\Users\<your name>\<folder name>\<subfolder name>\.

#10 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Agouti,

Yes, let me make this as clear as I can. The recipes are saved to folders. What I am talking about is when I 'click' on the 'Start Orb' the menu opens and I go to 'Notepad' and 'clicking on the arrow allows me to preview what is in 'Notepad'. After using CCleaner the recipes were no longer there but did remain in folders.
Just curious as to whether this is an anomaly or I failed to uncheck something, etc. Maybe files saved in this manner are treated as 'Temp Files' by CCleaner but as I have stated previously they were not deleted using TFC. Regardless, not earth-shattering.

@kaljukass,

"You need to be very professional..." and "You are simply good Magician..."?

Is this your attempt at a joke ??

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

Oh, that explains. The little menu that pops out when you click on the arrow runs on the list of recent files, which gets cleaned by CCleaner. The files are still there, but the list got deleted by CCleaner.

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Yes, let me make this as clear as I can. The recipes are saved to folders. What I am talking about is when I 'click' on the 'Start Orb' the menu opens and I go to 'Notepad' and 'clicking on the arrow allows me to preview what is in 'Notepad'. After using CCleaner the recipes were no longer there but did remain in folders.
Just curious as to whether this is an anomaly or I failed to uncheck something, etc. Maybe files saved in this manner are treated as 'Temp Files' by CCleaner but as I have stated previously they were not deleted using TFC. Regardless, not earth-shattering.

Nothing you said before led me think that the files were still there in their physical location.  I am sure nobody else got that impression either.  However, now that you have gone into some more explanation, the issue is clear.

This is not, as you put it, an anomaly.  In fact, this is the way CCleaner works.  Some programs, e.g. word processors, keep a record of recent files.  That record is suppose to make it easier for the user to find the files he used last.  To me, keeping a record of recent files is quite useless, but that's just me.  Nevertheless, as time passes, the list of recent files can grow quite long unless there is an option to control it.  This, along with other temporary files, will also take up space on the user's hard drive.  CCleaner, by default, cleans up these files.  If you find the default settings unsuitable, you can always change them as you like.  In this case, the setting you want might either be Windows Explorer->Recent Documents or System->Temporary Files.  You may have to experiment a bit to find the correct one.

#13 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

Agouti & ScathEnfys,

My apologies for not giving a more elaborate explanation. After re-reading my initial post I see the perplexity it caused and the importance of thoroughly explaining the issue.

Thanks to both of you for your interest and replies. I now understand.

#14 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:49 PM

No Perplexity caused here , and explanation made sense to me on Initial post , as i responded with ....

Ccleaner does delete "Recent Places" and Recent files opened from Notepad / Word from the "Start" Menu / And the Application you choose.

#15 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

It's fine :) I've seen far worse confusion. Miscommunication is a part of life. No need to apologize. Do you need further help with this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users