Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basics of building a website

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 sheen25

sheen25

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hello! I'm a newbie when it comes to computers.. I'd like to learn how build a website . What are the basics and steps in creating  one?  About hosting? Any hep will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

It would help if we knew what your goal was in learning to build a website? Are you doing this to build a personal site or business site or looking at this for a career change? There are different paths to building a site some require more work than others and that's why I ask.

#3 sheen25

sheen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

It is for personal site and a career change.

#4 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

So you'll want to learn how to build a Web site from scratch. You should start by learning some:

• HTML
  • CSS
  • JavaScript

Those skills will help you build a static (non-interactive) web site but also are relevant for building an interactive web site.

Next you'll need to learn a scripting language to make an interactive web site. There are several popular scripting language including:

• PHP
  • Ruby on Rails
  • ASP.net (Microsoft)

ASP.net is used mostly in corporate environments. PHP and Ruby are widely used by web sites.

There are lots of places to learn these skills online such as:

https://www.codecademy.com/ (free)

https://www.pluralsight.com/ (fee)

If you decide you like doing Web development, you'll also want to learn to write secure code. This important skill is generally not taught in colleges or online courses. However, knowing secure coding will make you more marketable. Pluralsight.com has some great courses on secure coding taught by Troy Hunt.

While you're learning, you may want to look for help on sites that specialize in web development topics like https://www.sitepoint.com/community/

Of course you'll need a web server to test your web site on. You can find instructions for installing one on your pc online. This works great for development and when you're done developing you'll need to find a web hosting company to host your publicly available website.

Good luck building your site 

#5 sheen25

sheen25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

Thank you very much for this!

#6 Webdeveloper

Webdeveloper

• Banned Spammer
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:19 AM

For starters the first things, you need to learn are CSS and HTML. HTML and CSS are both compulsory for developing the websites.

HTML: The HTML is used to create the contents of the web pages. HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. It is used to create media player, menus, navigation structure in the web pages. CSS is used to crate the layout of these webpages like the color of text, size of text etc.
Three types of CSS:
There are three types of CSS or Cascading Style Sheet:
1.In line Cascading Style Sheet.
2.External Cascading Style Sheet.
3.Internal Cascading Style Sheet.

1. External Cascading Style Sheet: In External Cascading Style Sheet, you create separate CSS file and write the CSS code in that file.

2.Internal Cascading Style Sheet: In Internal Cascading Style Sheet, You write the CSS code in the head section of HTML code. which makes it easier to apply styles likes classes to reuse the code.

3. In line Cascading Style Sheet: The Inline style is specific to the tag itself. The inline style uses the HTML "style" attribute to style a specific tag Learning CSS and HTML is very easy.
After learning these two, you need to learn JAVA, .Net or PHP for creating the functionality of the system or websites. PHP is easy to learn as compared to JAVA because it is easier to learn and use. That is why there are so many PHP developers these days. Check this site for more information: 5 Attributes that Render PHP the Most Preferred Language in Web Development

But you can learn java or .net if you want to that is something you will choose yourself. You can learn these languages from academy, codeacademy, lynda and w3school sites.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

I would also suggest learning TCP/IP and DNS to understand how the website works, not just how it is designed. 

#8 C0113c70r

C0113c70r

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

If you want your website to be anything more than a "brochure site" - a static site that does nothing but present static information - then you are definitely going to need to buckle down and learn a bit of CGI, PHP, or some other scripting language. I can't tell you how to do this, but I can tell you that I am self-taught and the way I learned is by searching the web for free PHP scripts. Once found, I would download them then open them using a raw ASCII editor such as Programmer's File Editor (aka, PFE). Once opened, I would spend hours or even days reformatting the source code and studying what the programmer wrote to make the script do what it did. As I learned, I began to tweak the code to make the scripts perform the way that I wanted them to perform, and before I knew it (years later) I was writing my own scripts and building my own interactive websites.

Good luck to you in your efforts.

If you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear,

you were probably asking the wrong question.

#9 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

Udacity is offering what they call Nano Degrees and they have one called Full Stack Web Developer. The course is co-developed by Github, AT&T and Google and takes about a year to complete. Their Nano degree isn't free but they have a Nano Plus that is more expensive but they guarantee you'll find a job or they'll refund 100% of the fee. Might be worth it if you're serious about a career change.

Full stack web devleoper 

Nano Degree Plus Guarantee 

#10 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:23 AM

This hasn't been mentioned, but in addition to server-side scripting (such as PHP), you'll also need to learn how to hand databases.

MySQL is a popular choice, and goes hand-in-glove with PHP so worth getting to grips with that.

W3Schools is usually a good starting point before you start getting into paid courses:

PHP MySQL database

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users