Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile Relocation.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomraedisk

tomraedisk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

So i am having a troublesome issue with the Relocating of User Profiles. I have been following this tutorial. http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-users-folder-move-location-windows-10-a.html

Every time i do the clean install method I get a boot loop and unable to create any users.

When i use the second method of an existing install. I am able to login and i see that the Folder has be relocated but all the apps are crashing and i can not access the start menu since Cortona is also crashed. I am out of ideals and i can not seem to find any solutions with the help of google.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

I am having problems with receiving notifications of replies.

If I haven't responded within 48 hours, please send me a Private Message to remind me.

Why do you need to use Kari's method (the TenForums link)?

Wouldn't it be easier to just clean install W10 and then create the profile that you need?

I'm just guessing here, but I have to wonder if one of the additional steps in Kari's method might have an error in it.

If you did a clean install, there's nothing left to relocate (unless you have it stored on another drive).

If you're trying to regain access to all your programs - that can't be done by simply relocating the user profile.

If you need the data from it, then you should just be able to copy it over.

Then, once the clean install is done, if you need to relocate the profile to another drive, then use the other method that Kari shows (to relocate on an existing installation of Windows)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tomraedisk

tomraedisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

I have a 256gb SSD. That gets filled up pretty quickly. My second drive is a 1TB. that is why im trying to relocate my profiles. 

I have tried both methods. With both methods ending with Windows apps crashing. cortona, edge, etc.

Edited by tomraedisk, 09 May 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#4 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

Instead of relocating the user profile (home directory), you could just relocated the individual libraries; music, videos, pictures, downloads, documents and have them located on the 1TB drive. If it's large programs and games that are consuming a lot of space and do not need the high speeds the SSD offers, you can create a Program Files folder in the 1TB drive and install them to that location instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users