Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Ram Usage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KB1240

KB1240

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

I am using Windows 10 /Home/ x64 on a new Lenovo PC.The ram usage runs 60-70% most of the time even when the cpu and pagefile usage is very low.The ram is 8 Gb.It did this right out of the box.The processor is Intel i5-6400 (quad core).Is it normal for the ram usage to be this high all the time?Would it help to increase the ram?If i do increase the ram will it affect the warranty?I sent an inquiry to Lenovo but have had no response so far.Any ideas on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

No it's not normal.  Leave the system on for several hours - does it eventually go down?

Will increasing the RAM help - yes, but it's likely not a RAM problem and I don't expect that it'll help much.

Installing new RAM may not affect the warranty - depends on the model (if it has an access panel, it probably won't void the warranty, if it doesn't have an access panel, then it might void the warranty).

Exactly how new is it?

New enough to return for a new one?

New enough to wipe it and start over?

Most places offer free diagnostics on a new PC (either on the system or at a service center).

If it's not hardware, then it must be software.

For a warranty repair, it depends on where you purchased it (they can tell you how to get warranty diagnostics).

In most cases, if sending it out for diagnostics, they'll insist upon you running the Lenovo recovery program (and this will wipe out all your data - so back it up first).

For hardware help, please post over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

If it's not hardware, then either post in the Am I Infected forums (if you suspect an infection) or in the Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support forums.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

Could you post an screenshot from task manager to see what is eating up the memory?

I also have 8GB on my i7, but it's usually using 20-30% memory most of the time.

#4 KB1240

KB1240
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

I think i need to spend the time to figure out what processes are using the ram.I haven't done this so far.Should be obvious.It could be that this is normal ram usage.I wondered if having a quad processor has anything to do with it.Anyway i really appreciate the input.

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

I am using Windows 10 /Home/ x64 on a new Lenovo PC.The ram usage runs 60-70% most of the time even when the cpu and pagefile usage is very low.The ram is 8 Gb.It did this right out of the box.The processor is Intel i5-6400 (quad core).Is it normal for the ram usage to be this high all the time?Would it help to increase the ram?If i do increase the ram will it affect the warranty?I sent an inquiry to Lenovo but have had no response so far.Any ideas on this?

I'm at work and have a Windows 7 machine. I checked the task manager and it was 59%  with 8GB of ram. I had 3 sessions of Chrome running and I closed all and it went from 59% to 29%. I then reopened this site in Chrome and it's running at 34%.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

It can be largely a function of how many browser tabs you have open.  I just looked at my system (a Dell Inspiron 15 5559 with 8 GB RAM, Windows 10), and I'm using 5.7 out of 8 GB.  I have 10 tabs open in Chrome and each is taking RAM from a high of 290 MB down to 73.7 MB, then I have 12 Firefox tabs open, 3 IE tabs along with an email client, Wordpad, and Solitaire collection.  Those browsers may seem like just 3 tasks, but each of the 25 tabs takes RAM.  Then there's the cache of things that've been used but are currently sitting in RAM unused because it will be much faster to access them if they're sitting in RAM (nanoseconds vs milliseconds).  You really can't say whether your use of RAM is normal or not normal until you look at these things.  I'm not having any performance degradation because if something needs more than what's currently available, Windows will just purge some of the cache, then steal pages from the least recently used task.  Without an understanding of how this works, you just can't draw simple conclusions.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users