Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this water cooler work on my GPU?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SyianZi

SyianZi

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hi folks, the main fan on my 970 has started to suffer coil whine so rather than try to find another fan which will do the job, I would like to buy this cooling bracket.

Here: 

http://www.ebuyer.com/737140-corsair-hydro-hg10-n970-edition-cpu-liquid-cooling-bracket-cb-9060005-ww

I wanted to know if it would fit on my card.

My card: http://www.galax.net/GLOBAL/970exoc_black.html

I think this would be alright, but thought I'd ask just in case :)

Thanks again guys,

Dan~

System Information:

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

Keep in mind that is just a bracket to keep the VRMs and vRAM modules cool... it doesn't replace the cooler that goes on the GPU itself. I would strongly recommend a custom water solution over a closed-loop cooler like the corsair hydro series too, but that is your call.

Now to answer your original question:
As long as that card is reference, it should fit fine. Just compare pictures of your card's PCB to pictures of reference 970 PCBs.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

So if the bracket cools the VRMs and vRAM modules, what would be remaining? I figured the bracket would have been an all in one solution (Here I am praying for an easy fix!) which would allow me to attach it to the card and allow the radiator & fans to keep the cards temp low.

Also, I'm going to be buying a new motherboard, ram, SSD, OS, CPU within' the next few months so a custom water cooled system is a possibility, but I don't know the first thing about maintaining one, parts and even if I'll have enough space to fit everything in. Plus, the expense isn't something I'm quite keen on, which is why the bracket looked idea. I have a similar thing on my CPU which is a Corsiar H40 cpu cooler.

If I chose the bracket, would I have to implement further cooling to the card, and if so what would that be?

Thank you for your response too.  

System Information:

Spoiler

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

That bracket is intended as a supplement to a AIO liquid cooling system like the Corsair h60. You're looking for something more like these.

#5 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

Alright, So if I purchase the bracket and any of the following ( The HG10 N970 works with the Hydro Series H50, H55, H60 (2013), H90, H80i, H100i, H110, and H110i GT. ) closed circuit water coolers, then I take it that is an appropriate cooling solution. (I didn't realise the bracket didn't come with the cooler, I have no excuse, a very dumb moment)

In regards to the PCB of the board, this is what I know so far.

1. A version of the Galax 970 IS supported as stated in the brackets product page under tech specs, the ID is: 97NPH6DT6XTZ.
  2. The card I have purchased however is the black edition, with the ID: 97NQH6DNB4TX 

I have compared both of these cards here and here

(Note: The guy in the post called his card EOC rather than EXOC. I've checked the Galax product page for any EOC cards but I suspect it was a spelling mistake.)

Both cards look identical in layout, so I'm pretty sure as long as I have a place for the radiator then I'm set :) 

System Information:

Spoiler

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

That TH thread you linked implies that the card has a custom PCB which will be an issue. I'll get back to you on that.

#7 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

After looking around some more I think that the original Galax 970 has a smaller board than my card. After checking the images on the Corsair product page showing the card that fits into the bracket and the card size on Galax's website, I don't think my card will fit.

I checked the original card on the Galax home page and the second picture showing the back of the card shows the shorter length.

So if I can't use this bracket, I will need to find something else. I'm glad I didn't make the purchase before checking here so thank you very much :)

System Information:

Spoiler

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

I think the bracket for the NZXT Kraken is universal... Do some research on that one.

#9 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

Alright so far looks pretty good, I've checked the bracket on its official website and the 970 is listed, so I checked out some installation videos and this one caught my eye because the card he was using (even though it's a 980) has a very similar PCB to my card.

I would also have to remove the backplate on my card like the one in the video too so that isn't a problem, I'd be a lot more confident to purchase this bracket. I'll wait for your thoughts :) Thanks for the recommendation 

System Information:

Spoiler

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

The reason I recommended the NZXT bracket is it attaches to the water cooling block itself rather than attaching to the board. (At least IIRC.) Again, the bracket for cooling VRMs is sold separately from the AIO cooler, so remember to buy both.

#11 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Great, thank you. I'm going to order the NZXT Bracket in Black with a h75 cooler tomorrow afternoon (so it should come by Tuesday). I'll let you know how it all turns out. 

System Information:

Spoiler

#12 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:30 PM

Many thanks, ScathEnfys. The bracket and cooler work fine. The bracket is pretty flexible and I believe would probably fit on almost any card.

Thank you~

System Information:

Spoiler

#13 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

My pleasure :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users