Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 3043 AIO - how to get BIOS updated? A06 to A09.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_K

Tim_K

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

I'm working on a 3043 Inspiron, service tag # 4GX9Z22.  Someone wanted me to wipe out Windows 8 and install 7.  No problem, did it many times. 

So I zero wiped the hard drive and reformatted it, put it back in, went into the BIOS to change to legacy boot, and...... there's no legacy boot option!  No CSM either.

Apparently the A06 BIOS, which this pc has, doesn't have the needed options.  I have to get the A09 BIOS into this thing to fix it.

So how can I do that?  I downloaded the BIOS file to a flash drive, but the computer isn't seeing flash drives.  Only boot options are ipv4 and ipv6.  And I'd have to have windows running anyhow, to even run that updated BIOS file, I think.

So how screwed am I on this miserable POS?  Never seen this before, in many years of PC repair work.

I tried loading 7 Pro 64 bit on the hard drive, from a Dell recovery CD, using a Dell Latitude 6410 laptop, thinking that'd be enough to get it doing, but no go.  It doesn't even try to boot from hard disk.

EDIT - Idea ... if I had a hard drive out of a functioning 3043, that this computer could boot from, I could use it to run the computer long enough to get the BIOS upgraded, then all would be well, right?  Or will Secure Boot confound this idea?

Edited by Tim_K, 05 May 2016 - 11:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

According to this Dell support page, the latest BIOS is A12 ,A12 released on 26 Nov 2015.

The follow screenshot was taken from this other Dell support page...

1462464043.png

I hope this helps.

#3 Tim_K

Tim_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Getting the BIOS file isn't the problem.  Loading it into the computer is the problem.  With no way to boot it up in Windows I cannot install the newer BIOS, as far as I know.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

You should have updated the BIOS before you wiped Windows.  The only alternative now is to reinstall Windows 8, upgrade the BIOS, then wipe.

#5 Tim_K

Tim_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

I didn't think it would work, but I put the 8 Pro cd back in, and it reloaded 8.  Huh.  I wonder what is on the 8 cd that isn't on the 7cd.  Once through that, I updated the BIOS to A09 then A12.  But then when trying to load 7 I was getting the ACPI BIOS blue screen 0x000000A5 error.

The hell with it, they will get the computer as an 8 machine even though 7 is superior in every way.  I'm not going to smash my head against the wall for the next 3 hours.

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Tim_K, 05 May 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

BIOS upgrades can go pear shaped real fast thus why I leave my BIOS alone

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

.....  when trying to load 7 I was getting the ACPI BIOS blue screen 0x000000A5 error....

Turn off Secure Boot in BIOS before loading Win7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users