Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista boot manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grannyandy

grannyandy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Having trouble my laptop will not let me do anything all it tells me is that boot manager is gone and restart and that is it I have put the disk in but it does not read it in the boot order the cd is the first one. any help would be appreciated thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

You are trying to boot a Vista Install disk? What is the make and model of the laptop?

#3 grannyandy

grannyandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

it is  a Toshiba satellite a215-55818 got one of those really bad virus's on it got it off and then this is what it tells me. That there is no boot manager I have tried everything I know to do not sure how the boot manager got messed up but it will not read the disk or anything. any help will be appreciated thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

Do you need any data on the disk and is it an option to do a factory reset on the computer. You would need a Vista Install disk to repair the computer's Boot Manager.

#5 grannyandy

grannyandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:29 PM

I have the disc that came with the laptop but it will not load all it does is tell me about the boot manager missing. the computer had that bad united states ransom virus on it. got it off I think but now all it will do is start but then goes into dos and tells me about the boot manager. the hard drive still works but it has nothing on it. I put it into a docker and found that out. hopefully you have some suggestions will try them. thank you again for your interest.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

If nothing is on the drive then your options are limited. Does the disk that came with the computer boot on another computer? Toshiba may offer restore disks for a nominal cost but Vista will no longer be supported after April of 2017. 

I recommend you download a linux distro and install that to the computer, especially if the computer is only used for basic browsing and email. 

According to the specs the computer has 2GB or RAM and a AMD 64bit processor running at 2GHz. Linux would run well on this computer. I would recommend the 32bit versions as you only have 2GB or RAM.

I would post a new thread in the Linux Forum and reference this thread. There are BC Advisors who can give you their opinion on the best option going forward.

#7 grannyandy

grannyandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

the only thing is when I try anything it goes to the boot manager missing. will this Linux create a boot manager so I can do something with it? Can I download this to a flash and install from there. If the laptop will recognize this option I am game. thank You

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

Yes, when you install linux it will wipe anything currently on the drive and install the OS. For people moving from Windows Linux Mint is usually the most user friendly. I would recommend downloading 17.2 LTS but you can ask in the linux forum.

Here is a video reviewing Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2

Here is one for Ubuntu

BC Advisors in the Linux Forum will point you in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users