Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking Of Getting A Mac; Never Used One

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

as an ausie, where i live nobody knows anything about a mac, nobody sells them or can supply anything here for them. Unless living in a big city.

I was thinking of getting a G4 iMac from eBay as you can pick 'em up for about $500AUD and about up to $50AUD to post it.

If i got one, and something happened to it and needed repairs, nobody can do it. So is it worth the bother getting one?

I feel like trying one out as they look so up-to-date compared to a windows pc. If i did get one i would have to make sure it came with software that need because i can't purcahse software here.

What would you look out for when getting a second hand mac? because the only way for me getting one os eBay, i can't really look before buy.

What specs would you go fo in a G4 iMac?

Anything i should know about a mac? Are they really better than Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

To tell you the truth MACs are not better than Windows they are just not targeted as much since more than half of computer users use Windows. For software if you don't get what you need buy it off e-bay like you will the MAC. Personally I like MACs but I do not find them worth the trouble. If you are into graphic arts on the computer then a MAC is what you need. They are really good and more reliable though in somecases. Just remeber even if you have a MAC it dont mean you are safer.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

I would like a Mac-Mini .(beats a G4 easy enough, about 600 US new
you could get a used or refurb cheaper I'm sure) For the security conscious
windows user switching to a mac and following "Safe Hex" would be about as
safe as it gets.(it has a built in FW and several firms make AV for it now
though most users don't bother with it I hear) there has yet to be a virus
found in the wild for OSX, there is a non-malicious POC virus out there,
but you still have to allow it to start up. it's not perfect though, as a
computers security is only as good as the person who uses it.
put it behind a router and keep your wits about you and it's almost bulletproof.
But I'm sure that will change in time.

Edited by no one, 07 August 2006 - 06:51 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

maybe save the trouble and stick with windows pc, since they only last a couple of years anyway. i don't do graphics so a MAC really isn't for me. thanks.

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

I would recomend getting it if there were places over there that did work on Mac though. But they also cost more. Depends on what you need.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

something that doesn't blow out the budget and check out on Mac prices and i nearly fainted.

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

did you look Here ?

Edited by no one, 21 August 2006 - 09:50 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:50 AM

MacMini are a steal for $599 (fromt) but are they any good? Be hard to upgrade them. i suppose downside, have to purchase, speakers, mouse, monitor and keyboard seaprately.

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

I don't have one but I want one. the word is that you can use your monitor(some kinda adapter is included) and if you have a usb mouse and keybord, you can use them as well (I have a usb mouse already) I dont "game", just surf and e-mail and 95% of the time I have my speakers turned off . Upgrading the mem. is supposed to be fairly easy and while 512mb would be fine, as it (OSX) uses memory differently than windows (I read more efficiently) I suspect I would want to bump it to 1gig. "just because", plus if I was going to spend that much I would give up the extra 200 for this one for the core duo and dvd-rw for 799.00

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

80GB Serial ATA hard drive

Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

Edited by no one, 31 August 2006 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:49 AM

well when you put specs from the $599 compared to the $799, everybody is better off spending the extra $200 if they have it handy. and i would persume most poeple would have USB keyboard and mouse plus a monitor already if upgrading so really not a bad way to go. As you mentioned Mac OS X using system resources differently to windows which was why it put me off the idea of mac as the system specs are lower than a windows computer. So i say a MAC OS X is a simple operating system that looks pretty classy and uses less specs compared to windows ugly system hog operating system. Would all or most mac software use less system specs comapred to windows software? I'm not after a PC for games just internet surfing, emails, some music downloading and word processing.

#11 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

You might want to "talk" to Governa and Haroldo over at CoU as they could give you a better "feel" for Macs than I could as both use both XP and OSX and prefer OSX for the most part. :thumbsup:
http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?s...c=11061&hl=

Edited by no one, 01 September 2006 - 06:27 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

thanks for the link i might try there. As being a Windows user most of my life, i had used a very old mac years ago but wouldn't know what the difference between them are though. thanks everyone who had posted here.

#13 HBK619

HBK619

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:12 AM

If you don't intend to play any games, then a Mac is for you. Things you also have to take in to account with the price difference is things like the cost of firewalls, anti-virus software and that kind of stuff. a pc may be cheaper, but once you buy all that stuff, the price may nearly go over the price of a mac which doesn't need all that. macs are reliable, have less problems, are usually more compact and there's some great software on them if you want to use it (iMovie for example).

the latest OS is superb, much better than XP. It's hard to explain, but in short, it's simpler and has a better UI. Trust me, I've used both for long enough to know which is best.

hope that helps

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:28 AM

I'm kinda fond of the MAC OS X system appearance as it looks modern, not hardware hungry, and heard it's good net surfer and document stuff. Music etc. Which is why i was looking into it. I hate PC games as they seems to crash or run jerky anyway so i don't bother with them. I have a PS2 that's my game system which i rarely use cause games a junk now. I rather fiddle around on a mac. I'm just sick of windows and it's erros and that awful "So and So is not responding and needs to close rubbish, i hope mac dosn't do that as much a XP does. You know a mac isn't perfect nothing is, but more reliable and better feedbacks on a mac than windows that i've heard. sure, a mac would have downsides, where i live no one sells them, no technitions to fix or service them here, so if i get one where would i take it to get it fixed etc. But i've i keep it clean, treat it right, it should be alright for a few years. I've heard that there's a new OS X coming out leppard or something. What is the difference between a Tiger and Panther OS X?

#15 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

Tiger and Panther are successive versions of OS X. Panther is 10.3 and Tiger is 10.4. Microsoft does constant patching and they tend to keep names longer, so it's hard to compare to the way Windows versions get named.

The longer she uses it, the more my wife loves her Mac. They aren't bulletproof, but I can tell you from experience that they survive power failures more gracefully than a PC. Overall just a well designed truly user-friendly computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users