Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"to create a partition in the unpartitioned space press c" Not Working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

I am unable to install Windows XP on a desktop. I used Gparted to delete all partitions of the hard drive until it was unallocated. After doing so, I power off the machine and put in a Windows XP CD. It loads the files all right, F8 worked to accept the terms, after that, it says "to create a partition in the unpartitioned space press c". I pressed C dozens of times, but it is not doing anything. If I just hit enter to install, it always BSOD's with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Google and Microsoft says that error message only applies to Windows 2000 and Windows NT. There is nothing on that BSOD regarding Windows XP. I also Googled '"to create a partition in the unpartitioned space press c" "Not Working"' but nothing came up. There seems to be no information on this problem that I am having.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

After deleting the partitions in Gparted create a new primary MBR partition and format it NTFS using Gparted then try the XP install.

http://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fname%3Dhelp-manual#gparted-create-new-partition

Edit: Another thing to do after creating the partition but before the install. Go to Partition > Manage Flags. Click Boot and then Apply. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

I did that. It still won't work. There are four entries at the bottom now that read "Unknown Disk <There is no disk in the drive>. BIOS sees the drive but now Setup does not. I have installed Windows XP on this desktop three times prior to this time without running to either problem.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

It's possible the install media has become bad. 

There are four entries at the bottom now that read "Unknown Disk"

Is this in Gparted? Can you post a screenshot?

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

I guess you didn't see when I typed "I did that. It still won't work." This is in Windows XP setup

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Where is Unknown Disk listed in Gparted. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#7 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

I just told you twice now that the message is in Windows XP setup. now I just told you a third

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

Sorry for the confusion on my part. I would recommend you download the UBCD iso. Burn the iso to disk. Boot the disk and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop click on Disk Health and run the short/long tests. Also do a memory test. Let it run for at least 6 passes. 

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Can you post a screen shot showing the four entries of Unknown Disk during the XP setup? 

#9 Tomsonn

Tomsonn

• Banned Spammer
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

You better connect your hard drive to another PC and at least Locate a drive. Then you try again to set up the Windows XP operating system. 

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

You better connect your hard drive to another PC and at least Locate a drive. Then you try again to set up the Windows XP operating system. 

Please explain how the above is going to help.

#11 Tomsonn

Tomsonn

• Banned Spammer
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:02 AM

Just like I said, remove your hard disk from your computer and then connect it to a Windows 7 (or so) running PC. 
Then right click on "Computer" and select "Manage". 
Then find your unallocated drive and locate it. 
Then restart that computer (not yours) and setup Windows XP in the same machine.

I think it will help cause it's easier to set things up if the hard drive is already allocated. 

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

The problem with Tomsonn's suggestion:  Installing XP on a different system will result in the drivers for that system's hardware being tagged/installed.  Moving a drive with XP installed to a different system is known to cause problems when attempting to boot the moved drive.

I suggest you follow the suggestions by John.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users