Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am not sure about a link!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stipl3x

Stipl3x

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

Hi!
I recently wanted to download a rom for my android from a site that I have use many times. But about a year ago it had an error on one link and now I have tried the other link.

The site is this: hxxx://www.droidzone.ro/tutorial-cum-instalezi-manual-jelly-bean-pe-samsung-galaxy-s-advance-i9070/]hxxx://www.droidzone.ro/tutorial-cum-instalezi-manual-jelly-bean-pe-samsung-galaxy-s-advance-i9070/. The link from where I have downloaded the soft is: hxxx://d-h.st/iXl]http://d-h.st/iXl.

But the other link is: hxxx://www.hotfile.com/dl/230404154/238af4f/I9070XXLQG_I9070ITVLQ3_ITV.zip.html]hxxx://www.hotfile.com/dl/230404154/238af4f/I9070XXLQG_I9070ITVLQ3_ITV.zip.html. And it opened up two sites instead...like ad site: wheretowatch and creativityworks.

All I want to know if these sites are ok and I don;t have to worry...because yeah..I really care about my pc's security
Hope for a fast and clear answerxxx.

Mod Edit: Deactivated potential dangerous links - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2016 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

hotfile.com was shutdown in 2013 for copyright violation. DEV-HOST (http://d-h.st) on the other hand, is still operational and appears to be clean, but still has adverts, nothing an ad-blocker can't fix. Cyber security goes beyond just worrying about a particular site. A start would be to use a secure browser (Firefox and Chrome now have inbuilt protection against malicious sites) then install a good ad-blocker extension/add-on for your choice of browser. Keeping your browsers, security programs and operating system up-to-date is key to keeping out bad stuff. Search the Web for the many ways of securing your PC and being safe on the Internet, it's a broad subject.

#3 Stipl3x

Stipl3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for your answer!
I used Chrome and I have adbplus installed and plus I have installed Malwarebytes anti exploit and anti malware non premium for at least 2 months and I have Avast free as av
And I did 2 scans (fast and full) with both and it looked ok.
But if the site is closed, I think these are just 2 sites affected by the copyright violation.
Because the second appeared like a document(maybe some legal stuff...I didn't read it).
And I deleted the file...it was for an old phone that made a lot of problems. :))
Anyway, I think I will start a serious research about security.
And thanks again for your help! It was very helpful!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

You can always check suspicious/unfamiliar sites or get second opinions using various URL Link Scanners:-- Use several different vendors when performing queries to confirm the results of page content. Even doing this, you still need to be cautions of other links on the page itself which can redirect to a malicious page.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Stipl3x

Stipl3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:45 AM

Thanks
I think I will search the VT addon
It looks ok
I will search more about it

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

As a tip I recommend using firefox as your browser and installing the Noscript extension, if in future you were to accidentally follow any dodgy links to pages that would try to infect you they will be unable to perform any drive-by downloads because noscript will be preventing the necessary scripts from functioning. Just make sure to be very careful about which sites you choose to "allow" in noscript and you'll find it to be one of the best defences possible, though having malwarebytes anti-exploit behind it as an extra anti-drive-by layer is always a good idea. neither of these will protect you though if you deliberately download a file, then run it and it turns out to be malicious, you still need a good antivirus alongside these tools and you need to be cautious.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users