Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wolffie03

Wolffie03

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:09 AM

This just started last night and it's being tedious. Windows search does not find anything in my folder even though what I'm trying to look for is already in said folder. The stupid index has just been stubborn as heck and I'm not sure how to fix this. I check the troubleshooter and all it gives me is that SearchIndexer.exe has failed recently. Idk how to fix this. :/

I also followed this article; both fixes worked but now my searches are slow and I can't permanently remove the notification of the search index being off even though it's been on and rebuilt.

Edited by Wolffie03, 05 May 2016 - 06:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

Do a system restore using a restore point prior to the beginning of the problem.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.

Select Control Panel in the menu that opens.

Click/tap on Recovery, then select Open System Restore.

When the System Restore open select Choose a different restore point.

When the restore points open click/tap on the Show more restore points to see all of the restore points.

Choose a restore point prior to this problem.

Edited by dc3, 07 May 2016 - 11:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

I had tried that but the problem persisted. I eventually had to get a tech guy to fix it. Apparently the registry got modified in some way (I didn't touch it) so he fixed the registry settings to how they were before. The search works like a charm now so I guess something got messed up in the registry. Unfortunately, this means my computer takes a bit longer to boot up. (Adding in an additional 15 seconds or less.) Also, my keyboard and mouse lag really hard. (My mouse will sometimes "stutter" or move slower than usual if I move it around. Keyboard will also lag with keyboard inputs as if I'm pressing hard on the button.) So not sure how to fix the performance issue. :/

Edited by Wolffie03, 07 May 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Take it back to the shop.

Edited by dc3, 08 May 2016 - 09:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users