Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2008, cannot login in safe mode, no logon servers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eljainc

eljainc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:43 AM

Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 system (service pack 1) which is giving me a heck of a time. After setting the system into safe boot (minimal services), I cannot login.

There was only one account: Administrator

The password does not work the same way as it did on the normal mode. It will show "Bad username or password".  

It also will show:

There are currently no logon servers are available to service the logon request

I want to be able to get my normal bootup restored and regain access to the server logon.

I have tried pressing F8 (actually space bar)  and when I select boot normally it still goes into

Safe Boot mode.  

I have tried a rescue disk (Lazesoft Recovery) to get to a cmd prompt, but cannot run msconfig

as it tells me that msconfig must be run in administrator mode and it is not registered as a service.

Thanks

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

Was it a domain controller? If so the "Administrator" password that you are looking for might be the "DS Restore" password.

If t was a member server of a domain try servername\Administrator as the username.

x64

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

If you booted the server in "Safe mode" the Active Directory Service is not running. Or if you booted in Safemode DSR restore mode (AKA Active Directory Services Restore Mode) You have to logon using local administrator username and password (Servername\Administrator) that was created before it was promoted to a domain controller. You could try "domain.local\administrator" replace domain with your domain name, you may get lucky. If you do not have the local administrator password your out of luck. We can't help you bypass the password, It is against forum Rules. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 May 2016 - 07:59 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Another local logon option is .\administrator.

In terms of getting out of safe mode, open a command line prompt and enter

bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot

Or open msconfig and set it back to boot normally.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users