Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way I can get good Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 0hmai

0hmai

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

Hello, I just bought a new laptop, but still have a horrible internet connection. We have a Verizon router downstairs which is pretty far away from where I am. I bought a wifi extender that plugs into the wall, but all it seems to do is just give me 5 bars. The internet connection still feels the same. 

For example, my Skype calls always drop and my download speed is incredibly slow. 

I saw somethings on Amazon called Wifi USB Adapters. If I got one of those, would it improve my issues? I can't do anything about Verizon since I don't pay the bills for it. Anyways, is there a way I can make my internet connection good? I don't have any experience so I have no idea where to turn to

Any Ideas? Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

Answer some questions first:

1/ Does the Laptop run ok downstairs ?

2/ Who else is online while you are testing speeds ?

* 5 bars - Displayed is a good/excellent connection.

Ping is slightly high but not really an issue , your upspeed is good at 3.4Mbps , but Dload Speed is half of that which leads me to believe someone else within house is downloading or using bandwidth.

Isolate the connection so its only you online and retest speeds upstairs / and run "Point One" above for test also.

Not my field but post any New Results for others to assist in the interim.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

Sorry to disagree but 1/3 is terrible. It is also abnormal to have more upload than download. 

For example my Comcast connection has 60 up and 6 down [60/6]. There is something seriously wrong with the Verizon service.

Contact them and have them do a line and modem check.

#4 0hmai

0hmai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

This whole thing really does confuse me. I did two tests today. One with my Wifi Extender plugged in, and one with normal router connection. 
My results were as follows:

Wifi Extender:
PING: 12

DOWNLOAD: 4.99 mbps
UPLOAD: 1.84 mbps

Router:
PING: 11ms
DOWNLOAD: 17.24 mbps
UPLOAD: 3.60 mbps

I mainly bought the Wifi Extender because my skype called dropped every 14 seconds - a few minutes. The wifi extender makes my calls drop less often, probably at about a 75% rate. What's weird is that my Extender has even worse speeds though. I don't understand a thing xD

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

Both those figures look a lot better for both up/down speeds.

Wifi will never be as good as ethernet connection / laptop being next to the Router , and the further the Wifi signal has to travel { Upstairs } it degrades.

If you can run a cable upstairs - that will help also if allowed to do so ?

The first test you ran 1.86 down  and  3.44 up , i would say someone else was downloading at the same time.

These figures look ok for the wifi upstairs / Distance ? / Walls ? / etc. 

Wifi Extender:
PING: 12

DOWNLOAD: 4.99 mbps
UPLOAD: 1.84 mbps

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

Wifi extender should be located half way or so BETWEEN your laptop location and the main router.  I suspect your issue is having the extender trying to extend a weak signal.  It needs to be located so it gets a strong wifi signal from the main router which in turn will up your bandwidth connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users