Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - I think I lost my win10..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daveycrockett

daveycrockett

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

I was attempting to do an alongside install of ubuntu on my samsung pc. During this the pc froze. I can now get ubuntu running on it, but when I change the boot order to boot with the hitachi hdd, I come up with a black screen with a flashing  _  at the top left of the screen. I thought I had a backup for win10 on an external HD, however, when I plug it in it says boot is compressed, press ctr alt del to restart and I end up with same black screen. Is win10 toast now on my samsung?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 babaranchor123

babaranchor123

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

Your Hitachi HDD is external hard drive?
You can access Ubuntu properly, and Win.10 is installed on your machine already?

#3 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

Your Hitachi HDD is external hard drive?
You can access Ubuntu properly, and Win.10 is installed on your machine already?

Thanks, the hitachi is the internal drive on the pc. And yes correct, I can access ubuntu via usb flash drive, but that's it. The win10 is the current os that I installed 4 months ago. I was attempting to back out the ubuntu install when the pc crashed

#4 kbp80

kbp80

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:03 AM

Hi daveycrockett,

Could you please boot into Ubuntu and post the results of the following command: 

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

This will show the list of disks and partitions for the laptop.

Were you trying to install Ubuntu in a second partition so that you could dual-boot? Unless specified during the Ubuntu installation, the installer will overwrite the Windows bootloader with GRUB which, without configuring GRUB, will not automatically see the Windows partition. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users