Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing Data on a FDE drive via USB connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mazi

Mazi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi 

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, im really hoping someone here can help me. Please let me know if ive posted in the wrong forum. 

I have a laptop hard drive that's been removed from a system with a bad motherboard, The drive is a seagate momentus that has has full disk encryption or self encrypting. I want to recover the information from the hard, but have not been able to figure out how to enter the drive password to unlock the drive. Is there a tool or application i can use to access this drive? 

The screen that came up which allowed me to enter password had a "Wave System corp", ive tried contacting them, but it think they are out of business. 

I'd appreciate any help on this. 

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graymatteron

graymatteron

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

To unlock this drive you will need the keys used to encrypt it that are locked into the pre-boot environment on the drive.  If you don't have a backup copy of this key then you will need to install the drive in another computer and enter the username and password configured for this device's pre-boot authentication.  If you have neither of these then you are out of luck.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:54 AM

Where is the end-user for this computer?  If still there -- s/he hopefully will have the key or username/password written down in a safe place.  If end-user moved on, you're back to what Grey said.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Mazi

Mazi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

So i was finally able to recover the data

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I installed the drive in another system, instead of having it boot into the Windows after entering the password, i booted into Ubuntu and was able to access the files. 

Thanks for your help 

Mazi

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,587 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

If the drive was using full disk encryption how was Ubuntu able to access the files? If you simply booted to Ubuntu and accessed the files without a password then the disk was not encrypted.

#6 Mazi

Mazi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

sorry if i didnt state clearly in the original post that i have the password. After entering the password the system would blue screen.

what i wanted to know was if i can access the drive Via USB to get the files off. for example if there was a software that would recognize the drive and allow me to enter the password to decrypt it. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,587 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

No problem. Thanks for the clarification. I understand now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users