Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best graphics card for 90s pc?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

after 'blowing the dust off' my old pc, i was considering using it for some good retrogaming. however, it seems my computer had not been upgraded since it was purchased, save for the sound card. my question is, assuming ebay is my only hope, what/which graphics card should i get for my old machine? upon further inspection, my computer has one free pci slot and a few isa slots.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

If it will run on your PC, download Speccy, run it, and post a snapshot. Then post the link to the snapshot here. If that won't work, please try to give us as much info about the PC as possible.

Ninja edit: Programs exist to run old games on modern hardware, DOSBox being an example. You may want to consider them.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 04 May 2016 - 07:33 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

If it will run on your PC, download Speccy, run it, and post a snapshot. Then post the link to the snapshot here. If that won't work, please try to give us as much info about the PC as possible.

Ninja edit: Programs exist to run old games on modern hardware, DOSBox being an example. You may want to consider them.

nope, speccy will not work on my pc. therefore, i will attempt to spec it myself:

model: packard bell pb 2900

motherboard: unknown

processor: intel pentium 1, 100 mhz clock speed

memory: 16 mb ram

hard drive: 1 gb

3 1/4 floppy drive

cd rom drive

2 pci slots

4-6 ISA slots

hope i did that right.

as for dosbox: why emulate when i got 'genuine hardware'?

pirate edit: if this website is correct, then my computer has a pb 680 'orlando' motherboard.

Edited by Mr. Engino, 05 May 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:10 AM

Your CPU is so slow that even very low end PCI video card is enough. Low end PCI video cards are very cheap now, pay at most five bucks.

From Ebay something like that http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-PCI-VGA-graphic-Video-Card-2MB-S3-UNION-ViRGE-DX-BIOS-AT27C256R-TESTED-/200925088325

Edited by Drillingmachine, 05 May 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

Again, I will suggest a emulator environment over that PC, but if you insist, the GPU @Drillingmachine suggested should do the trick.

#6 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

emergency update! it turns out one of the pci sockets is faulty, and since my sound card inhabits the other one, I am now down to having to use the ISA slots.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

I would suggest that you follow the pattern set by time...and leave the 90s behind when it comes to computer systems and computing.  IMO, fooling around with a system from that era in 2016...is just self-imposed unwillingness to be well.  It doesn't have to be and the daily/momentary odds for frustration...increase second by second.

Louis

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

I agree with Louis. If only because there are better options (Virtual Machines, Emulators, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users