Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enableing the firewall something weird happened.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

Yesterday I had to shut down and remove my usb with mint mate and reboot into cinnamon.  This went ok nothing really unusual.

However when I went to turn on the firewall in terminal it normally asks to be in sudo.

Sudo asks for authentication and you get a blinking cursor [normal] When you type in your password nothing is supposed to show.

A security feature of linux also normal. However this time when I typed in my password it started showing the pasword in PLAIN TEXT.

Luckyly I only typed in 4 letters of my 15 digit mixed alpha numeric and symbol password.

When I noticed I immediately closed out terminal waited 8 minutes and retried.  Three letters showed up again in Plain text. Once again I closed out terminal. I waited 1 hour and was successful turning on the firewall without issue.

Everything I read on this says it should not be able to happen.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Why did you want to turn on the firewall?  Wasn't this one of the first things you did when you installed Linux Mint?  You only need to turn the firewall on once.

I know this doesn't answer the question as to why your password was plainly visible in the terminal.  Short of someone being physically there checking and observing, I don't think anybody could explain why that happened.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

Maybe I do not have too turn it on each time I switch from the live  usb to the installed Mint cinnamon but it is a force of habit I am trying to get into before I actually start firefox.

Sometimes I forget to do that sometimes on the live usb for a little bit. Not real good practice these days.  The internet has become such a dangerous place even for linux systems.

I mean after all linux's own servers have recently been hacked. I know that was on the forum but if they were succesfull there where else may they have been able to get to.  There have been a number of people posting about getting corrupted or altered downloads thru their updaters. Their entry points may not have been all found and closed. According to the linux blog they even had to bring in outside specilists to help. Now they are announcing they are going into partnership with one of them.  Not that I blame anyone, when it comes to security you want to get the best you can get.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

That brings me to another question, why do you need to use a live Linux drive system so often?  IMHO, a live system wasn't designed to be used for normal daily computer tasks.  Sure, there is nothing preventing you from using a live system all day long, every day, but a live system should only be used for, say, trying a particular Linux distro to see if you like it, checking to see if a distro is compatible with your hardware, carry out your bank and financial transactions, etc.  I don't mean to pry, but is there a reason why you use a live Linux for long stretches of time?

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Hi dannyboy

If I may -

@Agouti:

dannyboy already has Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon installed as a full install. He is practising with Mate Live to see how his 1Ghz CPU handles it, and if it suits him, he may replace Cinnamon with Mate.

@dannyboy:

In a Live session, sudo is still required for commands that require elevated privileges, but it does NOT actually require your password to be entered, it simply executes the command.

I expect what you have seen is something like the following

3x45n1N.png

I performed this from a Live Mate USB stick session a few minutes ago. Once the line commencing "Firewall" was output, there was no need to go further.

Do you think that could be the case with you?

Using this method would have to be repeated each time you reboot using the Mate stick, unless you have Persistence enabled, in which case the changes will be saved from session to session.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

Edited typo

Edited by wizardfromoz, 04 May 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

No sir that is not what I get. I type the first line and I get the blinking cursor and a request to enter my password which is the whole system password.

Somebody get that and it is all over but the crying. They would basicaly have root privelages would they not?

Once I authenticate I will get the firewall is enabled. The other line you added I will not get. lol

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

Agouti the wizard was right if I would not have rushed to install cinnamon I may have realized it was too much for my cpu.

This time I wanted to give enough time for unexpected issues. And I am finding a lot with Mate right now but not maybe mates fault.

Since I have found that bumping the drive or the computer or even the desk can cause the USB to unmount and remount incorrectly. This may have corrupted the usb in some way.

I am thinking of do-ing a low level format of the stick and reinstall mate on the usb.  What do yall think of that idea???

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

Okay, I understand why you are testing Mint Mate now.  For that matter, I would go for an even lighter distro if I had a 1 GHz CPU.  Something like Kubuntu or Lubuntu, but that's just my opinion.

As wizardfromoz said, in the live session, you aren't required to enter your password.  That's because the default user in a live system is an elevated user, i.e. similar to an Administrator in Windows.  You should only be asked to enter your password when you are in your Cinnamon install.

Also, I don't think you need to do a low level format on your USB stick.  Try a normal format first and only do a low level one if you must.

Edited by Agouti, 04 May 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

I would go for an even lighter distro if I had a 1 GHz CPU

Try Linux Mint  XFCE.

Xfce 32-bit 64-bit  

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

Actually I have that distro iso downloaded.  Another member pointed out the same thing I had noticed none of the helpers seemed to have that distro and if I needed help they might not be able to just boot into their own copy of the distro and try to duplicate my issue.

So I decided to go with Mate there are a number of users here that run mate or have run it.  They may be better able to help with mate.

Still chewing on it. lol

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

Actually I have that distro iso downloaded.  Another member pointed out the same thing I had noticed none of the helpers seemed to have that distro and if I needed help they might not be able to just boot into their own copy of the distro and try to duplicate my issue.

So I decided to go with Mate there are a number of users here that run mate or have run it.  They may be better able to help with mate.

Still chewing on it. lol

While true, we will be able to help you with either distro that you decide to install.  Xfce is not all that different at it's Core, and I always have one on a USB that I can boot up in minutes to help you out, as can others.  Xfce should run quite nice on that pc.  If you want to go really lite you can install Lubuntu.  It's not as nice as MintXfce but it will use less resources, I'll leave this for you to read.  Not sure you should install anything from that USB Port?

http://lubuntu.net/

If you are interested download this on that page:  [Download lubuntu 64-bit (AMD64) desktop CD] 

Edited by pcpunk, 04 May 2016 - 10:14 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users