Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sysprep Wont Work Fatal Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SoundArc

SoundArc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Long story short, I had to restore my laptop to factory image, and every time i turn it off i have to redo the factory image. Im pretty sure the problem is, every time i run the factory reset a  thing about sysprep comes up and when i try to run it it says i get a fatal error. I did some research about the topic online and this is what i have done so far:

Set the value ofGeneralizationState under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus to7,

Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SkipRearm to 1

Deleting C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther but when i run sysprep it just replaces the folder

Nothing has worked and im not sure where to go from here. PLEASE HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

What exactly does it say about sysprep? What is the exact fatal error message you get when you run sysprep? What's your laptop's make and model?

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#3 SoundArc

SoundArc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

"A fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine"

Dell Insperon

#4 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

What's the specific number of that Inspiron? When does this fatal error occur in the factory restoration process? What happens if you ignore the error?

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

When the Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

net stop WMPNetworkSvc

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 SoundArc

SoundArc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

So i did what you said dc3. It stopped the windows media player. Then i tried to sysprep again and i got this error "Windows could not be parse or process unattend answer file [C:\windows\panther\unattend.xml]. The answer file is invalid. The error was detected at line 43 column 7 of the answer file.

I looked up  what the file is supposed to be and its alot longer then mine. Which really confuses me because it is the factory image.

Edited by SoundArc, 06 May 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#7 SoundArc

SoundArc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

My laptop model is Dell Inspiron N5110

The fatal error happens after the factory reset. If i skip it nothing happens, I can just use my laptop normally. But when i turn off the computer, it will go right back like its starting the factory reset. It says something like windows is preparing your computer for first time use and just sits there not actually doing everything. So i have to force turn my computer off and run the factory reset again. I am trying not to turn my computer off but i dont have a working battery, so if the charger gets unplugged or anything it turns off. I have had to run the factory reset like 10 times, Which i would imagine isnt good for the hard drive. So i would like to resolve this problem as soon as possible!

Sorry if i was bad at fully explaining the full extent of my problem in my original post.

Edited by SoundArc, 06 May 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#8 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hmm. Post your unattend.xml.

Edited by Portaller, 06 May 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

To err on the side of caution, please run the sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found (corrupt files that couldn't be repaired), please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users