Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Registy Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Moretti47

Moretti47

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

Ok, they say a little knowledge is dangerous, thats me. I had download something,dont remember what and My Norton Security said something trying to change my homepage and was setting my homepage to their site. I got to my regular homepage(rr.com) and went into tools/internent options and told it to use the current home page(rr.com). After I closed out of internet explorer and opened it again it came back to the norton site as my home page,no matter what iI tried could I get it to keep my rr.com as my home page.

Now it got interesting, as I went into regedit and went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main , I changed the DEFAULT Page URL to my wanted homepage (rr.com) , but I accidentily deleted Start Page. Internet Explorer will not come up now at all. I was able to go to Start-Help and Support and get Internet Explorer to come up by going to Windows newsgroup listed on that page. After there I could go up to the Home Button and hit it and would be at my regular homepage (rr.com). But if I closed IE and tried to reopened it will not come up,only if I go back to Start-Help and Support and do the previos steps.

Question: How do I put back the Start page. I can type Start Page as a new key but cant get to put an address in the value.Wont let me Modify.

I ttried doing a System Restore but it would restore to any date i picked.must have tried at least 10 different dates.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Windows XP ,IE 6.0

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 06 August 2006 - 05:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

First, restore the registry.

Start in safe mode and choose last known good configuration.
Hopefully that will restore the damage you did.

Reboot back to normal mode.

Will IE open now?

If not, you will have to repair IE.
Description of the Internet Explorer Repair tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/194177/en-us

You may have to reinstall IE.

You probably have Norton set to protect your homepage against hijackers and have Norton's page set in it as the restore page.

Also open IE, click "Tools", then click "Manage add ons"

Disable anything in there from Norton, and anything else you do not recognize as valid.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 August 2006 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users