Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualboot 8.1 and Linux Mint

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 landscaper

landscaper

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

Hi all,I have a question,I have dual booted many times before but only with windows os.I downloaded an ISO of linux mint and burned it to cd.Would like to know if it would be the same process as dual booting

windows os.Don't want to run into any surprises,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

I can't say if it would be the same process since you didn't describe what you did before.  However, this article is the one I followed to install Linux Mint alongside Windows.  You should note that there are certain steps that are specific to dual booting Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint on a UEFI system.

#3 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the reply and the tutorial.As for what I did before,I created another partition,booted from the cd and followed the on-screen instructions.Seemed pretty straight forward.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

Just be aware that though Windows and Linux can coexist in a dual boot environment, Linux uses a different file system from Windows.  That's fine as long as you don't try to change partition sizes.  As soon as you try changing them, you won't be able to boot anything on your hard drive, so just be aware of that.  Personally I have Linux Mint on a USB 3 flash drive and can boot from it and be up and running in about 30 seconds.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Niweg,can you give me instructions on how to do that.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Niweg,can you give me instructions on how to do that.

Download Linux Mint from here:  https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php .  Then use Rufus to put it on the flash drive.  That's it.  If you boot from a USB 3 flash drive on a USB 3 port, it will be up in running in about 30 seconds.  If you boot from a USB 2 port, it'll take close to a minute - still a lot faster than booting Windows from a hard drive.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

Thank-you,I will give it a try.I downloaded the ISO of linux mint,rufus and linux live USB already.So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#8 Sam_Smith

Sam_Smith

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

I'm curious to know if it true or not that booting an OS off of a USB will kill the USB fairly quick. I'm interested in booting from a USB instead of installing locally on my notebook that runs Windows 8.1.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

No reason why it should. However the best place to find this out is the Linux section here on BC. There are a number of regular contributors there who have a batch of different flavours on memory sticks and regularly boot whichever one they want to use at the time.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users