Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 warning: "back up your file encryption key" (should I worry?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:55 AM

I'm 90% sure this is just random bs from windows as usual but lately I suddenly started getting warnings to back up my file encryption key. But.... I don't have one, or have any files encrypted by windows. So why are they asking me this?

I keep reading on this site about ransomware that encrypts peoples files and getting a little paranoid that my 1-2tb of photos might be slowly and secretly being encrypted in the background.

Is there anything for me to worry about?

I am using windows 7, with AVG free edition.

Screenshot013.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

From the web: Backup Encryption Key Prompt?  (seems you may have downloaded an encrypted file....that's one possibility)

QUOTE from link above:

Based on my further research, you could run cipher.exe tool to display the encryption of foldes and files on NTFS volumes. To do this, please take the following steps.

1) Type "Command Prompt" in the search box and right click to run as Administrator.

2) Type the following command:

cipher /u

Then it will list encrypted folders and files if your system owns.

3) Please locate to the above encrypted folders.

For more information about cipher.exe, please refer to the following website.

Cipher

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771346(WS.10).aspx

BTW, after finding the encrypted folders, you may need to recover this files. I would like to share a link with you.

Recover encrypted files or folders

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Recover-encrypted-files-or-folders

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

From the web: Backup Encryption Key Prompt?  (seems you may have downloaded an encrypted file....that's one possibility)

QUOTE from link above:

Based on my further research, you could run cipher.exe tool to display the encryption of foldes and files on NTFS volumes. To do this, please take the following steps.

1) Type "Command Prompt" in the search box and right click to run as Administrator.

2) Type the following command:

cipher /u

Then it will list encrypted folders and files if your system owns.

3) Please locate to the above encrypted folders.

For more information about cipher.exe, please refer to the following website.

Cipher

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771346(WS.10).aspx

BTW, after finding the encrypted folders, you may need to recover this files. I would like to share a link with you.

Recover encrypted files or folders

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Recover-encrypted-files-or-folders

Yes it seems you are right it listed a bunch of files in a wordpress theme I downloaded recently... So nothing to do with a virus then... Just need to delete that folder correct?

Edited by noz03, 04 May 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

I wouldn't know what those files contained or why they are encrypted. But it would be a solution to getting rid of the Windows popup.

You might want to check with Word Press. You may want to just decrypt them or backup the encryption code.

Edited by buddy215, 04 May 2016 - 08:09 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users