Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Firewalls And Load Balancers For Medium Sized Businesses?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

I am trying to look into firewalls and load balancers that a small to medium sized business would use. 

Users range from 25 users up to 500 users. 

Scenario:  A hotel that provides WIFI for its guests. 

Server: Linux based, any suggestions on what o/s to use on it?   

Primary purpose of the server is for users to connect to the wifi, authenticate on the hotels splash page, be given an IP address and surf the web.    Support has access to the server and can reboot AP's and or kick users on/off and reboot the firewall, as well as the server if need be. 

Firewall:  suggestions please?  basically to help blacklist sites and or monitor bad sites?

Load Balancer:  any and all suggestions please as I don't know how or in what capacity it would be used here?  Any suggestions on use and s/w or h/w would be appreciated!

let me know what you got!

Regards,

Phabeon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 captainfreeky

captainfreeky

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

I am trying to look into firewalls and load balancers that a small to medium sized business would use. 

Users range from 25 users up to 500 users. 

Scenario:  A hotel that provides WIFI for its guests. 

Server: Linux based, any suggestions on what o/s to use on it?   

Primary purpose of the server is for users to connect to the wifi, authenticate on the hotels splash page, be given an IP address and surf the web.    Support has access to the server and can reboot AP's and or kick users on/off and reboot the firewall, as well as the server if need be. 

Firewall:  suggestions please?  basically to help blacklist sites and or monitor bad sites?

Load Balancer:  any and all suggestions please as I don't know how or in what capacity it would be used here?  Any suggestions on use and s/w or h/w would be appreciated!

let me know what you got!

Regards,

Phabeon

I would say go with PFsense whcih is on FreeBSD 10.3 a lot stable and what you are looking it right in the box  and you can deploy with your own hardware ;)

https://www.pfsense.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users