Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio, only noise on VLC/YouTube, but Skype okay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Isis4

Isis4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

I'm having problems with the audio on my computer (Windows 7 Home).

I'm using headphones, and I can hear sounds in Skype and the sound my video downloader makes when it's done.

But I can not hear the audio in my media players (VLC/WMP), or online videos like YouTube and Vimeo. Initially there was no sound at all, but now there is static in one ear when I hit play.

It was working perfectly earlier. The only thing I can think of that I did differently since then is that I went to an interactive website for an online class at learn.canvas.net, which tells me my browser is not supported, but lets me look at documents anyway.

I tried the Windows Troubleshooter, but it detected no problems.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstall ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Isis4

Isis4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

No, I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled anything. I wouldn't even know what I would do that with, since the problem is on all media players, as well as on online sites (I even tried a couple of different browsers). And there doesn't seem to be a problem with the audio driver, since I am able to hear some sounds (Skype works perfectly).

#4 Isis4

Isis4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

Well, I seem to have fixed the problem myself by accident. In case anyone else has this problem, perhaps my experience will help:

My computer is made by Dell, and in this one the manufacturer installed a second audio program, in addition to the Windows 7 audio program, called IDT Audio, which interacts with Windows in really wonky ways. So instead of just having to play with the settings in Windows, there is a setting in IDT that also needs to be ticked, or it apparently overrides the Windows settings.

I had checked the IDT settings when this first started, but what I actually had to do was to unplug my mic from the computer, and plug it back in, which then generated a popup with the default set to 'line in', and I had to change it back to 'microphone'. Once I did that, the sound on my headphones was back. Bizarre and annoying, and I will do my damnedest to never buy another Dell machine. They used to be great, but this last one has been nothing but trouble.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for posting your efforts.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users