Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart Screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:34 PM

After a restart, is there a way to by-pass the "start" screen (or whatever it is called) and go directly to the login screen? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

I suppose you mean the lock screen?  Follow this article to disable the lock screen.  Although written for Windows 8.1, it works in Windows 10 too.  If you don't have Windows 10 Pro, you won't be able to use method 2 but method 1 should work just as well.

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:44 AM

I suppose you mean the lock screen?  Follow this article to disable the lock screen.  Although written for Windows 8.1, it works in Windows 10 too.  If you don't have Windows 10 Pro, you won't be able to use method 2 but method 1 should work just as well.

Not sure of the name. It is the first screen after boot-up. You have to hit return to move to the log-in screen. I will try method 1 and report back. Thanks.

Edit: Scratch that. Not important enough for me to mess with the registry.

Edited by Artbuc, 04 May 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Not sure of the name. It is the first screen after boot-up. You have to hit return to move to the log-in screen. I will try method 1 and report back. Thanks.

Edit: Scratch that. Not important enough for me to mess with the registry.

The 2nd method is extremely easy and works for what you want.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

It's good to know that you understand the importance of the registry and messing with it, however, once you always back up your registry or the specific key first and take special care to follow the instructions closely, it should be okay.  And yes, what you described is the Lock Screen.

@chalup, if the OP has W10 Home, he won't be able to use the 2nd method because Group Policy Editor is only present in W10 Pro.

#6 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:16 PM

It's good to know that you understand the importance of the registry and messing with it, however, once you always back up your registry or the specific key first and take special care to follow the instructions closely, it should be okay.  And yes, what you described is the Lock Screen.

@chalup, if the OP has W10 Home, he won't be able to use the 2nd method because Group Policy Editor is only present in W10 Pro.

How do you back-up a registry? Every week I make a new Macrium Reflect image. Is that good enough? Yes, I have W10 Home and cannot access the LGP editor.

Edited by Artbuc, 04 May 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

To backup or export the registry key in question...

1.  From an Administrator account, press the Windows + r to open the Run dialog.

2.  Type regedit and press Enter.  This will open the Registry Editor.

3.  In the left pane, expand and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.

4.  Right-click on Windows and select Export from the context menu.

1462402007.png

5.  Give the registry file a descriptive name and choose a location to save it, e.g. your Documents folder.

6.  If you ever want to revert the changes, just double-click the registry file and select Merge.

#8 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:43 AM

To backup or export the registry key in question...

1.  From an Administrator account, press the Windows + r to open the Run dialog.
2.  Type regedit and press Enter.  This will open the Registry Editor.
3.  In the left pane, expand and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.
4.  Right-click on Windows and select Export from the context menu.
1462402007.png
5.  Give the registry file a descriptive name and choose a location to save it, e.g. your Documents folder.
6.  If you ever want to revert the changes, just double-click the registry file and select Merge.

Very cool! Thanks. Which registry file do you double click to merge? The back-up you exported/saved?

#9 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

Ok, I did the back-up. When I double-clicked on it, I did not get a merge option. I was asked if I wanted to make changes to the registry. I said yes and then I got a message saying changes were successfully made. Hopefully nothing was changed because the back-up should have been exactly the same as what was in the system. Before I actually make changes, please confirm that my back-up process is ok.Thanks.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

Yes, your backup process is okay.

#11 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

Ok. Got rid of Lock Screen but can't get it back. Restored backup registry but still no Lock Screen. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

Okay, I had another look at this and it seems I've lead you wrong on this one.  The backup method I described is applicable if you modify an existing key.  However, in this case, you created a new key.  In other words, you created a new key at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization, therefore, if you want to revert the changes you have to delete the key.  To delete the key, go back into the registry and locate the Personalization key in the left pane at the aforementioned location.  Right-click Personalization, select Delete and confirm it.

Sorry about leading you wrong.

[Edit]

You can delete the backup you created earlier.

Edited by Agouti, 05 May 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#13 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

No problem...I assumed that before reading your post and successfully deleted the new entry. Thanks so much for all of your help. I always enjoy learning something new.

Edited by Artbuc, 06 May 2016 - 03:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users