Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOOTMGR is missing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Switchfire

Switchfire

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

This all started when I did something stupid and deleted a partition with linux on it. I got a grub recovery error on restart. After doing some research I tried running a repair tool I found on sourceforge. Here's the link with info from that: http://paste.ubuntu.com/16208939/     I had then got the error msg "BOOTMGR is missing Press ctrl+alt+del to restart". Tried running the windows 10 install repair tool with no success. Even tried rebuilding BCD from command line and still no avail. 

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

It can take up to 3 attempts for startup repair to complete the repairs. If Startup Repair does not work you can download the Boot Repair Disk and select Recommended Repair.

With a Windows 10 computer you may need to disable SecureBoot in BIOS before the Boot Repair Disk will run. 

#3 Switchfire

Switchfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

Thanks John! I didn't think about trying startup repair multiple times and that actually worked! :bananas:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

Glad the easier solution worked for you. Thanks for the update.

Edit: If you do not plan on installing Linux again then you can expand the Windows partition to recover disk space.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

@ JohnC.......the program/link you provided in post# 2....Boot Repair Disc....works like a charm....fast and effective.

I used Rufus to 'burn' the iso to a thumb drive...also very effective and fast.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users