Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Adapter has disappeared (NOT immediately after Win 10 upgrade)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Banksman

Banksman

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

I used this site once before and buddy215 was fantastic in helping me. I hope someone can help with this issue.

My Wifi adapter has disappeared on my new Lenovo C50 all in one computer. I have had the computer about 2 months and it has been Windows 10 the whole time and has functioned generally well, although the Wireless connection has occasionally stopped and showed no wireless connections in range when there are several. Usually restarting has sorted it out, but not this time. I guess the computer may well have been Win 7 or 8 before I purchased it (from a high street retailer - PC World) but this is not an issue that has come about immediately after a Windows 10 upgrade.

There was a Windows update (KB3140741) around the time the adapter disappeared today, might be coincidence. I've tried uninstalling that update but it won't let me.

I've updated the driver for the wireless adapter (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) in the device manager and it's now completely up to date. The properties say it's functioning correctly but it still doesn't appear at all when I go into Network and Internet, VPN, Change Adapter Options. All that is there is the bluetooth network connection and Ethernet which is what I am using whilst I fix this.

I have also tried the two solutions on this site http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-no-wifi-available-after-windows-10-update.html which is to download some software and to attempt to amend the registry. The software states that the driver for the wireless adapter is up to date, and the registry entry it suggests to delete doesn't exist, so both of those options have drawn blanks.

I've spent ages on the internet looking for an answer so I hope you can help as nothing seems to have worked.

Thanks in advance.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

I don't think that is your wifi adapter, that is your wired. Try this driver and see if it helps.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo-c-series-all-in-ones/lenovo-c50-30-all-in-one/downloads/DS103935

If you right click on This PC and go to device manager do you see anything with a yellow exclamation point next to it?

#3 Banksman

Banksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi Chalup

Thanks for being so quick. Tried downloading that and installing it and no change, still no sign of it.

I think you're probably right on the wired one - in that case it's even more mysterious. Where has the wireless one gone?! I've done as you suggest in device manager and checked all categories just in case but no yellow exclamations appear at all.

Have you got any other ideas? It was working perfectly just 4 hours ago.

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

As chalup posted the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is your Ethernet adapter. Click on the top of the Device Manager Tree (your pc) and select Action > Scan for Hardware changes. If you do not see scan for  hardware changes make sure you are in an admin account or you can type Device Manager in the search box and then Right Click run as Administrator. If the wireless adapter still is not detected then the adapter may have failed.

Edit: You could verify the bad wifi adapter by booting a live linux disk. I usually recommend Fatdog64 for this. If Fatdog cannot detect a Wifi adapter then your wifi adapter is most likely dead.  If interested I can post instruction on booting from a USB flash drive. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#5 Banksman

Banksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Thanks JohnC_21.

Unfortunately following your steps to run as adminstrator didn't give me the option to run as administrator. Is that the search box from the windows button? Where do I right click?

I tried the scan for hardware changes and it didn't make anything appear. All I've got is:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

No yellow exclamation marks.

Does this mean the adapter has died?

#6 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

So if you click on the computer box showing you are connected to a network in the bottom right, then on network settings, then wifi, do you see any connections at all? You can also right click on the computer box, open network and sharing, then click on change adapter settings in the top left. Is a wifi adapter showing? If none of these it does sound like your wifi has failed and you can buy a USB wireless adapter from your local computer store.

Edited by chalup, 03 May 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:51 PM

See my edited post on using a linux distro to verify a dead wifi adapter. I am not sure why Windows 10 would not have Scan for hardware changes in Device Manager. If you login to an admin accouunt that option is not present either?

#8 Banksman

Banksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

So if you click on the computer box showing you are connected to a network in the bottom right, then on network settings, then wifi, do you see any connections at all? You can also right click on the computer box, open network and sharing, then click on change adapter settings in the top left. Is a wifi adapter showing? If none of these it does sound like your wifi has failed and you can buy a USB wireless adapter from your local computer store.

When I select Network settings it just shows me my Ethernet connection. Change adapter settings shows no Wifi adapter, that's the problem.

#9 Banksman

Banksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:55 PM

See my edited post on using a linux distro to verify a dead wifi adapter. I am not sure why Windows 10 would not have Scan for hardware changes in Device Manager. If you login to an admin accouunt that option is not present either?

Thanks John. Sorry - how do I see your post? Sorry, you misunderstand - it did have scan for hardware changes, I selected it and nothing new appeared.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. In my post #4 I mentioned you can download and boot a live linux USB flash drive to verify if the Wifi adapter is bad. I can post instructions if interested. 

#11 Banksman

Banksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. In my post #4 I mentioned you can download and boot a live linux USB flash drive to verify if the Wifi adapter is bad. I can post instructions if interested. 

Sorry - I didn't see that earlier post. Yes, instructions would be great thanks. Just to check - I am using Windows 10, presumably the Linux idea works on Win 10? I am connected using Ethernet so would I need a flash drive (not sure I have one). I may go quiet after this post. After a long day at work and an evening trying to fix this I'm exhausted, so I'd pick up again after work tomorrow. Thanks.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

You can also do this with a blank CD if available.  Yes, the linux distro will boot and run from RAM and disk or USB flash drive. As an additional option you can use a USB wifi dongle like this to connect wirelessly, verified to work with Windows 10

You can download Fatdog64Fatdog64-702.iso

Once the iso is downloaded you can burn a CD by right clicking and selecting burn disk image. For a USB flash drive you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB. Run Rufus and make sure your flash drive is listed. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where Freedos is listed select iso image in the dropdown box. Click on the icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up first.

Attach the USB flash drive  or insert the CD and tap F12 at boot to bring up the boot menu. Select your boot device. At the Fatdog desktop you will see a wireless icon at the lower right if the wifi is detected. Provide your Wifi password to connect. Detach your Ethernet before booting Fatdog.

Edit: You will need to go through a few steps to access wireless on Fatdog. If you have trouble I can post the instructions or you can download a larger distro like Mint Cinnamon. If you decide to boot Mint do not click the install Mint icon on the desktop.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#13 Banksman

Banksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for your help, but I've managed to solve the issue with something else. I found this on a Microsoft forum:

Open the Network troubleshooter by following these steps:

1.      Press Windows key+X and click on Control Panel.

2.      Click on Troubleshooting and click on View All.

3.     Click on Network Adapter troubleshooter to fix problems with Network Adapter.

4.     Follow the on-screen directions to run this troubleshooter and restart the computer to check if this helps.

I was surprised it worked actually as I've tried various simple things like this and couldn't get it to appear. Hopefully it's now fixed for good. Thanks again.

Edited by Banksman, 04 May 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#14 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for your help, but I've managed to solve the issue with something else. I found this on a Microsoft forum:

Open the Network troubleshooter by following these steps:

1.      Press Windows key+X and click on Control Panel.

2.      Click on Troubleshooting and click on View All.

3.     Click on Network Adapter troubleshooter to fix problems with Network Adapter.

4.     Follow the on-screen directions to run this troubleshooter and restart the computer to check if this helps.

I was surprised it worked actually as I've tried various simple things like this and couldn't get it to appear. Hopefully it's now fixed for good. Thanks again.

Glad you got it fixed, out of curiosity though does the adapter now show up under device manager?

#15 Banksman

Banksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

Just checked and yes it does. Very odd. I'm not convinced that the adapter hasn't got some sort of problem with it - I'll need to keep a close eye on it.

Next time I log on, who knows........

Thanks for your help.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users