Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor Setup for Extended Display

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shaser

shaser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

I have an HP Pro Minitower 3130 with Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I am trying to setup two LCD monitors for a dual screen (extended display).  

The graphics card is an Intel HD graphics.  There are two ports, one VGA and one DVI port.

I tried using a VGA splitting, however I was not given an option in the control panel to setup the 2nd monitor this way.

I have also tried plugging one monitor into VGA and one monitor in DVI.  This gets both monitors on and working.  However, it doesn't work like an extended display.  I can not drag windows from one monitor to the other.

Does anybody know how I can make this work for my machine?  Is it compatible or not?  Do I need to add a graphics card, if so which one is best for this?  Are there any drivers I need to make it work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

hello shaser, intel hd graphics is a worth graphic card. So i suggest you buy a new graphic card which at least 3 display unit vga, dvi and hdmi. Post you motherboard and psu specs and go for graphic card according to its.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Dell has a good article on how to connect multiple monitors.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN128740/EN

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 shaser

shaser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

I actually figured it out.  I feel like a fool now.  I plugged one monitor into the VGA port and one into the DVI.  When I did this originally, both monitors turned on and appeared to be extended.  However, I tried to drag a window and move to the 2nd window.  It did not move to the other monitor.

I just realized that i had the monitor flipped in the settings.  So I was dragging the window to the wrong side!!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users