Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Radiation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grilledcheese

grilledcheese

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

Guys, I hope this is the right board to post this. I have been using my laptop more than usual the last few days with all the work that needs to be done with malware etc, and I have been noticing I've been getting a sick sort of feeling and a very strange chemical type sensation in my brain (sounds odd, I know, I don't know a better way to describe it). Is it possible the laptop's radiation is causing me to feel this way and that I should be concerned? Also, is it possible that my laptop is emitting dangerous levels (either due to high usage or due to a glitch)? Should I look into this at all or is this common?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

Radiation from your computer, I think not. CRT monitors emit a tiny bit a think. But if you were going to measure it in milirams ( That's what they use for radiation ) it'd be nothing. Those tiny X-ray machines at your dentist emit much more. It could be the screen and your eyes, change the refresh rate to a higher level. a low refresh rate ( like 60 and lower ) hurts my eyes and made me not feel to great. But I highly doubt it's your computer, I bet your microwave, or your TV make a hundred times more radiation.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 grilledcheese

grilledcheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

Thanks! I have no idea how to change the refresh rate -- if you have a sec, can you help me out with that?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Using your laptop in your lap is not healthy (if you are a man that is). The heat has an adverse effect on the, um, family jewels.

Honestly it sounds more like some stress related symptom. Have you been squinting at the screen? Been sitting in the same position for hours on end? Eyesight going bad? All these things and similar can cause head-aches of different kinds. Have a look at this page to being with.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:06 AM

Hi grilledcheese

Right click on your desktop, left click on Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor

On this page you should find your refresh rate and the options available.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users