Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 0 fails when computer wakes up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

So this is an issue I haven't seen before and it seems to be pretty obscure. I leave my computer on 24/7 and it eventually goes to sleep and then into hibernation. I have two SSDs in a hardware RAID 0 config and most of the time when the computer wakes up it is fine. But every so often when the computer wakes up it can't see the SSDs in RAID 0. Intel Rapid Storage will report that one of the drives has failed, but a quick reboot brings the RAID 0 back up every time so I don't think it is a hardware failure. plus all the hard ware is brand new.

Also often times when the computer wakes back up, Intel Rapid Storage will report that drive 0 and drive 1 in the raid were disconnected and then reconnected. The RAID will often perform fine after this. I am thinking it has to do with some sort of setting that turns the hard drives off or something or maybe it is just a property of the computer going into hibernation.

Anyone got any ideas on how to remedy this issue?

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:00 PM

Try changing your power States in the BIOS to S3 (sleep 3) instead of allowing the computer to fully hibernate (S4). You can also try looking in the Advanced section of the power menu in Windows for the "turn off hard drives after idle" setting and select never.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

I changed the Power state to S3 and disabled hibernation entirely. I also set it to never turn idle hard drives off. Still getting RAID 0 failures every now and then.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

Back up your RAID before proceeding.

Well, you can install the latest BIOS revision.

You can update the following drivers: INF (chipset), ME, RST and Ethernet to the latest.  I presume you don't have wifi on the system?

I presume these are matched SSDs you are running.  Make sure their firmware is up to date.

All can effect sleep modes. 

You should run memtest86 or memtest86+ as faulty RAM can account for wake issues. 

Disabling "fast startup" in Win 8 or Win 10 has been reported to clear up hibernation wake issues.  And the OS is it up to date? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj835779%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Truthfully a lot of hardware and a lot of apps are involved in sleep mode and in causing issues for sleep mode.  And then you toss a RAID array using SSDs in there.  That is a lot of perturbations. 

Edited by Fascist Nation, 07 May 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

All the chipsets appear to be up to date, SSDs are matched and their firmware are both the latest version. Running on Windows 10 and it is up to date.

I am installing a newer BIOS update to see if that does anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users