Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Internet Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rydian

Rydian

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Alliteration not intentional.

- The Basic Problem

Every so often, I stop having proper internet access, despite the connection still being functional.

Web pages stick on "waiting for x" or "transferring data from x" forever, games won't make a connection, skype logs out, etc.

This condition can last hours and either suddenly be fixed, or slowly get better.

There doesn't seem to be a specific pattern, and this only happens to this desktop as far as I can tell, other wireless devices can still function properly.

During this time I have the same difficulty accessing the router's web interface from the desktop as well, evidence that it's not a net/ISP issue.

- Strange Symptoms

Pinging through the command prompt still works for the duration of the problem.  I can ping a domain, an ipv4 IP, -4, -6, -t (to a log), the works.

This is part of why this issue is so strange, the connection itself appears to work, but most forms of useful communication do not.

If I have an active Skype call running, the problem will usually not present itself.  However sometimes upon ending the call, the problem will suddenly happen.

Literally today I was on an MMO with a friend while Skyping.  We were playing for a while, while also browsing heavy pages and sharing links in the background.

However the moment we hung up, all movement in the game on my end stopped and web pages ceased loading, and the problem did not vanish for a while.

Purposely initiating a skype call to stop the issue (once it appears) doesn't work, because Skype doesn't work properly while the issue is already happening.

Maxing out CPU usage (say, via crappily-made games that have no framerate cap) seems to have a detrimental effect on connectivity as well, giving some

of the same symptoms... however when the issue is happening "naturally", CPU usage can be as low as reasonably attainable but fix nothing.

I know the last two things are strange descriptions, but I'm really at a loss to find any sort of pattern or cause, and those two have happened multiple times.

- The Machine

Windows 10 Home

Version 1511

OS Build 10586.218

Clean install of 10 from USB using Microsoft's Media Creation Toolkit.

Home built machine, can grab more part info on demand if needed.

1RwJsT1.png

X1WfzZw.png

- Troubleshooting Attempts So Far

• A different wireless device.  I have tried two PCI-E x1 cards and the current USB (3.0 in a 3.0 slot) device with the same symptoms.  Currently-used device being the USB one for ease of "reseating".  Have tried both front and back USB 3.0 ports.

• A wired connection.  Unfortunately this is just not possible due to pesky things like the laws of physics.

• Restarting the computer doesn't seem to do much of anything.

• Wiping the partition and installing Windows again from official media, still happening.

• Disabling and re-enabling the wireless device from the device manager or network/sharing center doesn't fix it.

• Various router troubleshooting steps just in case like factory resets, channel changes, and firmware upgrades (not possible, ISP-issued gateway with "automatic" updates).

Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

There's a new "power-saving feature" deep in the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.  Here's how to get to it:

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced power settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode.  Change both settings there to Maximum Performance.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Rydian

Rydian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

There's a new "power-saving feature" deep in the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.  Here's how to get to it:

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced power settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode.  Change both settings there to Maximum Performance.

Good luck.

Unfortunately there's only one setting I can see and it's been on max.

9RQkWOB.png

#4 Rydian

Rydian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:51 AM

Anybody have any other ideas?

#5 Rydian

Rydian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

Anybody, please?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

If i'm not wrong you have indicated that the wireless connection to wireless router was tested with three different wireless adapters with same result if this is the case then i would say issue is with wireless router after all you even reinstall Windows OS this eliminates software error which leaves hardware component error if you are sure those three wireless adapters are fully functioning then issue is the wireless router. You already upgraded the wireless router firmware and because we know wireless devices can connect to wireless router i say there is no badly configure settings you should change to resolve this issue its time for new wireless router.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users