Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop black screen at boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

I have a HP 15-g029wm laptop  running 64 bit 8.1 that shows absolutely nothing on the screen. I can hear it firing up, lights light and blink, but screen stays black. I attached it to an external monitor, and it works like a charm. I have run through all HP and Windows updates, but still get nothing on LCD.

I am open to any suggestions. I would like to know if it's a hardware malfunction or a driver issue.  Anyone think an upgrade to Win 10 would fix it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

If the monitor works then this could be either the backlight or inverter causing this.

Take a powerful flashlight and shine it on the screen to see if you can see the desktop.  If you can your backlight needs to be replaced.

If the desktop is not visible then there is a chance that this is the inverter and will need to be replaced.

There is another possible cause for this though it is not usual.  This would be that the ribbon cable has become detached or has been damaged.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

No dice. Screen is black. No ambient light coming from it at all. Nothing else to try? Diagnosis is bad hardware?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

Since the monitor worked I would have to assume that this is the problem I suggested previously, yep... hardware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:40 AM

Just to close the loop, I replaced the monitor an its all good.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Just for clarification, a desktop uses a monitor, a laptop uses a display.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users