Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to ports other than http:80 and https:443?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 xizuo132

xizuo132

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:00 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem where I can only connect to the standard http port 80 and https port 443. I can access websites perfectly and play videos and all, but when I try to connect to IP's using other ports, such as the ports used by internet game servers like Agar.io and Steam, the connection times out and I can't connect or I have to try many times to connect to the server. This problem has came up only a few days ago, when my family and I returned to Australia from our 4 week holiday. Before, everything was working fine, instant connection to everything. I have tried contacting Telstra numerous times, and they have told me they couldn't help, and to find third-party assistance. They did say something about setting up our port connections properly though.
I can do Tracerts and Telnets on the IP's or add some consoles from Agar.io if you really need it.
I would really appreciate if you could help me fix this problem.

Info:
Connection: Ethernet Cable from wall to Laptop
Router: Netgear Wireless Cable Gateway CG3100D-2BPAUS
Type of Internet: Cable

Thank you,
James

Edited by xizuo132, 03 May 2016 - 02:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

post the results of a tracert yahoo.com via a command prompt for review

Did you forward the steam and agar ports?  If so post a screen shot of the forwarding page for review

BTW you don't connect to them via a port.  They connect to you via a port.  Your end has to be configured to allow that port into your lan.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 03 May 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#3 I_Just_Post_Here

I_Just_Post_Here

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Could this be an antivirus firewall issue?
Try temporarily turning it off and check for improvements.

#4 xizuo132

xizuo132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:20 AM

Could this be an antivirus firewall issue?
Try temporarily turning it off and check for improvements.

Yeah I have tried turning my window firewall off, no luck

#5 xizuo132

xizuo132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

post the results of a tracert yahoo.com via a command prompt for review

Did you forward the steam and agar ports?  If so post a screen shot of the forwarding page for review

BTW you don't connect to them via a port.  They connect to you via a port.  Your end has to be configured to allow that port into your lan.

Thanks for the reply, here are the screenshots etc..

Tracert: http://pastebin.com/7v3Jq7mT

Screenshot of portforward agar.io: https://snag.gy/riEt0v.jpg

Yes my local i.p is 192.168.0.20

And how do i configure my end so that the ports can connect to my lan?

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

10.209.64.1 for 2nd hop.  You have access to this private ip router?  If so you need to port forward in it to the router at the first hop.

Everything I read says agar.io using port 443 not the listed ports you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXJmi-blUk

If you do not have access to the 10x router you will not be able to port forward.

#7 xizuo132

xizuo132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:07 AM

10.209.64.1 for 2nd hop.  You have access to this private ip router?  If so you need to port forward in it to the router at the first hop.

Everything I read says agar.io using port 443 not the listed ports you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXJmi-blUk

If you do not have access to the 10x router you will not be able to port forward.

Hey,

I tried typing 10.209.64.1 in my browser but it comes up with the "this site can't be reached, 10.209.64.1 took too long to respond." page.

The video is from last year, all the agar.io ports have been changed from 443 to 1500-1530, the developer said so himself.

What should I do?

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

You need public ip on your wan port to be able to port forward or you need access to the router that does have the public ip so you can forward to your static wan ip and therefor forward to your game server.

You have no idea whose router that is?  Talk to your isp, maybe they know.

Otherwise you are not able to forward ports and as such will not be able to host games

#9 xizuo132

xizuo132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:28 AM

You need public ip on your wan port to be able to port forward or you need access to the router that does have the public ip so you can forward to your static wan ip and therefor forward to your game server.

You have no idea whose router that is?  Talk to your isp, maybe they know.

Otherwise you are not able to forward ports and as such will not be able to host games

Yes the screenshot I sent is the gateway that has access to the public WAN i.p. I tried port forwarding on the gateway that has the public WAN i.p.

Yeah, I will contact Telstra to see what that i.p is. Every tracert I do has that i.p in the second hop.

I don't know why I should need to port forward as when it was all working, I didn't need to port forward anything. Also I have a dynamic IP because we don't have the plan for the static I.P. I'm also not trying to host any games, I'm just trying to merely connect to the servers.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

"the screenshot I sent is the gateway that has access to the public WAN i.p."

This can not be true according to the tracert.  Your netgear wifi gateway is at 192.168.0.1 not 10.209.64.1

So either someone in your building /area put a private router in between you and the isp [10x subnet] or this is the ISP router and they are not giving you public ip.

#11 xizuo132

xizuo132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:20 AM

"the screenshot I sent is the gateway that has access to the public WAN i.p."

This can not be true according to the tracert.  Your netgear wifi gateway is at 192.168.0.1 not 10.209.64.1

So either someone in your building /area put a private router in between you and the isp [10x subnet] or this is the ISP router and they are not giving you public ip.

Hey, I found an I.P under the label of "Cable Modem IP Address" that was 10.209.87.110, which is quite close to the 10.209.64.1. I could still use some help, so where do I go from here?

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

Must be a modem router combo unit.  Make and model?

#13 xizuo132

xizuo132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:33 AM

Must be a modem router combo unit.  Make and model?

Netgear Gateway CG3100D-2BPAUS if that helps. It was given to me by Telstra.

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Sorry I missed the make/model in your first post.

Here is your manual

https://www.comhem.se/blob/43612/3/manual-netgear-cg3100-data.pdf

You will need to port forward in this router to your router. Best way is to connect to it directly by wire and login to the web interface.  See if the default logon and password work.

If they do then configure the port forwarding to your routers wan interface's ip address.  You should set this as static on your routers wan interface. 

#15 xizuo132

xizuo132
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:00 AM

Sorry I missed the make/model in your first post.

Here is your manual

https://www.comhem.se/blob/43612/3/manual-netgear-cg3100-data.pdf

You will need to port forward in this router to your router. Best way is to connect to it directly by wire and login to the web interface.  See if the default logon and password work.

If they do then configure the port forwarding to your routers wan interface's ip address.  You should set this as static on your routers wan interface. 

Sorry, but I don't understand at all what you mean. Do you mean to connect to my Netgear CG3100D and portforward my Cable Modems' IP address? I can access the Netgear CG3100D, but I can only port forward ports, not IP's? Or do you mean connect to my modem and port forward the router? My Cable Modem WAN IP address is already static, but I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users