Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Routers & Access Point Setup For IP Camera

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlanDogg

AlanDogg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:04 AM

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice to the following scenario. At my workplace there are 2 business that have their own broadband & Routers and we want both businesses to connect to a 3rd router/access point to view an ip camera which is situated in another building. We also want to use the 3rd router/access as a WiFi hot spot within that building.

Building 1

This network is using a "Netgear N900" router and has around 10 computers connected to its network and has 6 ip cameras running within the building and remotely connecting another 9 from my home network. We have ran an additional cat5 feed cable from a hub on our network to building 3 router/access point, We only want a feed from the ip camera that is situated on the outside of building 3 and our cable is connected into the router/access-point in building 3.

Building 2

This is a small network and has around 5 computers connected to a router (Will find out the model of this today) Building 2 has a cat5 feed cable running from it also to the router/access point in building 3 and it again only requires to view the ip camera situated on building 3.

Building 3

Is a hangar that  has a tp link TL-WR841N router/access point and currently has 1 ip camera connected to it. This router access point has to act as a wifi hot spot within the building and also send a live ip camera feeds to building 1 & 2. Building 2 has to be the main feed of broadband to building 3.

Current Situation

I have temp connected both Building 1 & Building 2 feeds to port 1&2 on TL-WR841N in building 3 & connected a laptop via Ethernet to port 3 also and have setup the Foscam ip software on my laptop and can view the ip camera no problem. When I try and view the ip camera in building 1 I get the error "Subnet does not match dbclick to change"  I'm not sure exactly how to proceed from here, I haven't tried to access the camera as yet from building 2 so I expect the same sort of issue.

Hope this isn't to long winded and I have explained it clearly

Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

first issue is ip addressing.  for this to work both networks have to be in the same subnet.  this also means you have to divide the dhcp scope between all three networks. This also means these networks can talk to each other.  They no longer have the security of being isolated.  The hot spot adds another layer of insecurity in that it also has access to both networks. Any one connecting to the hot spot will get a ip address from either dhcp server.

Lets say network 1 is using 192.168.1.0/25 and network 2 is using 172.16.0.0/24

You will need to change network 2 to be using 192.168.1/0/24

Network 1 gateway would be 192.168.1.1 and its dhcp scope would be .2 to .127

Network 2 gateway would be 192.168.1.128 and its dhcp scope would be .129 to .253

You would assign 192.168.1.254 to the AP/hot spot.

As a ap it would not be doing nat or be a dhcp server.  dhcp would pass from either network to a ap attached device.

As a business owner I know I wouldn't be happy with this setup security wise since unknown people would be accessing the hot spot and would be going through their networks to get to the internet.

Ideally the AP/hotspot would have its own internet access, the two business networks would be left as they are and would access the ip camera via the internet and software that came with the camera. This would keep their networks secure and separate while accomplishing the access you desire.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 03 May 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#3 AlanDogg

AlanDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hi Wand3r3r,
Thanks for your input, Our businesses are remote so we are not to worried about security round us to a point as both networks are well protected, the WiFi access point is a weak point of access as the rest of the networks are hard wired. Its 3 work colleagues that will access the wifi via mobile phones who work in that area. I will give it a blast what you have said above and appreciate the time for your reply. Its a bit double dutch to me so will see how I go, I will most likely be back :)

#4 AlanDogg

AlanDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:49 AM

Hi Wand3r3r,
I have decided to setup Building 2 & 3 together only & building 1 can access the ip camera over the internet. Keeps our network secure and theirs separate from ours. Will let you know how we get on once I implement the changes.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

sounds like a great plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users