Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I clean the dust off a Motherboard and other guts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:39 AM

I found an ol' Compaq PC in the closet at my fiance's house.  I opened it up, and it had an inch layer of dust all through out.  I washed the case in the tub, and I'm wiping down the PSU and Disc Drives with alcohol, but...

Can I wash off the computer boards with alcohol?  

I watched videos of guys washing there mobo and other innards in the dishwasher and sink.  Is that okay?  What's the best procedure?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:49 AM

Never mind.  I found out water and alcohol can be used as long as the boards are fully dry after words.  

I'm going to experiment with this ol' sucker by upgrading the RAM, re-gluing the heat sinks, and I don't think there's much else I can do with these ol' dust bins.  This thing only has 512MB RAM, and it has a floppy drive on it.  I'll give it a test, and I'll probably sell for a few bucks on craigslist.  

#3 Paws

Paws

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:00 AM

guys washing there mobo and other innards in the dishwasher and sink.  Is that okay?

Nope! definitely not.

I'm not sure if this is a serious question or not but if, heaven forbid, it is a serious question, then here's is an article by an expert that may help you get started.

https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=103649

Good luck!

Regards
paws

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:19 PM

I always tackle the dust with an anti-static vacuum cleaner and an acid brush to help move things.  If it looks clean then, try it, if it fails, a wash with clear water and then a wash with a non-residue electronic cleaner would clear any left behind that may create a short.

#5 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:48 AM

LOL, after I saw everyone on youtube and the chat forums else where saying that water and alcohol works fine, I shot it down with alcohol just because it will dry up faster than water.  

I mean I saw them drowning parts in the sinks and dishwashers.  I now recall there is an issue with static, and that while it's not always present, it can be a problem from time to time.  We'll be seeing if it is a problem this time.  I'm about to reassemble and power up.  

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

Electrostatic discharges can kill board components in a computer.  It could take as little as 10 Volts to do this.  To put this into perspective, remember walking across a floor and reaching out to grab a door knob only to be greeted with a spark and a painful shock?  The threshold for this type of pain is around 2,000 volts.

Here is an easy way to protect the components inside the computer.  With the side panel removed touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity built up in your system.

Also... be sure that the parts which were washed are completely dry before doing anything with them.  If you aren't sure, wait another day to be safe.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

People washed their computer parts in a dishwasher..? Why would you ever do that?

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

There is this tutorial as well: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

People washed their computer parts in a dishwasher..? Why would you ever do that?

I used to work for a company that had a sister company that built controller boards for printers. They were boards that would emulate IBM printers so we could use non IBM printers on IBM systems. They washed the circuit boards in a regular dishwasher after, I was amazed when he showed me that, he said you just had to let them dry fully before testing them.

#10 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

The computer works without a problem.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users