Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 OS's 1 PC. How to Create a Partition

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:47 PM

So I've built and rebuilt PCs before and installed OS's.

Right now, I'm running Windows 8.1. I've been dealing with it for nearly 2 years and I still don't like it. I'm not excited about Windows 10 either.

I prefer Windows 7. I have my own installation disc. I've wiped drives and installed the OS countless times so that's no problem.

My problem is this.

I don't want to get rid of Windows 8.1 because I can get Win 10 for free. At some point in the future, I may decide I like it and want to use it. But right now, I want my Windows 7!

I know I need to create a partition on my hard drive to do this, but I don't know how. I've looked on the internet at how to do it, but I've always gotten the most reliable information here.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Edited by hamluis, 03 May 2016 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frizzlee

Frizzlee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

I am assuming you are putting Windows 7 on the same drive you have Windows 8.1 on.

First, in your search menu type "Disk Managment" or you can search around in the control panel for Disk Managment.

You should have a window that looks like this: 

5g1LbuM.png

Next you will right click onto the desired disk and choose shrink volume:

I4Lf93X.png

Choose that option and shrink the disk to your desired amount you wish to have for Windows 7. I made mine 20GB ( Minimum requirement for Windows 7 64 bit ):

3doTI3M.png

After you shrink the Volume you should be left with an unallocated space. You should be able to install Windows 7 directly onto this unallocated space, but if you want to create a new volume anyway right click on the space and select "New Simple Volume" (You can reformat the partition when you install Windows 7 anyway):

14k0c8U.png

A wizard should pop up and help guide you through the Volume set up. You shouldn't need to change any options. After you create the New volume you are ready to install Windows 7 onto it! 

You may have to change the boot priority in the BIOS to get Windows 7 to boot first. Sometimes you have to enable Dual booting in the BIOS, but that is a different task! Hope this helps!

Edited by Frizzlee, 03 May 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#3 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

Yes.

Two operating systems on one drive.

-Henry Ford

#4 Frizzlee

Frizzlee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:52 AM

Yes.

Two operating systems on one drive.

What I posted above should work then!  :bananas:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

Google Links

Louis

#6 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

Thanks so much!

I've been gone for most of the last 2 days, so I'm just now getting this message.

I'm really glad to be going back to 7.

-Henry Ford

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:41 AM

My problem is this.

I don't want to get rid of Windows 8.1 because I can get Win 10 for free. At some point in the future, I may decide I like it and want to use it. But right now, I want my Windows 7!

I get the impression that you believe by having Windows 8.1 you can get Windows 10 for free.  Well that is not really 100% accurate.  The fact is both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.  Also, the free upgrade  is available until July 29, 2016.  See this Microsoft FAQ page for more information on the free Windows 10 upgrade.

#8 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

I know I can get Windows 10 with 7 or 8.1. I also know that there will finally be an expiration date to get the free upgrade. I already tried it and didn't like it.

But, I've read reviews of it. Many of the reviews said it is or will be good upgrade in the future, for certain users. I might also find myself needing to have at some point in the future.

Honestly, I'm a little suspicious of Windows 10 and Microsoft.

Microsoft is a business venture. Typically, the goal of corporations is to make money. Operating systems are expensive. While revenues are produced from the sale of new PCs with Win10 being the standard installed OS, Microsoft is giving up possible sales to individuals willing to pay for their own installation disc.

It doesn't make sense to me that Microsoft is harassing people to upgrade. I can see offering a free limited time upgrade for maybe a month, but a whole year?? And to keep reminding us?

And, it's my understanding that you can't opt out of updates.

Why? I don't believe that Microsoft has any altruistic reason for giving away free upgrades. When a company pushes a product that hard, and tries to trick people into getting it, I can't help but wonder what their true motives are.

It smells too much like Big Brother to me and I'd rather resist becoming part of it.

Booh-Kitty might sound like a handle for an uneducated, naive, bubbled headed girl, but I am far from that.

Some people realize that too late.

-Henry Ford

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

Booh-Kitty, you, I, and many others may not be very fond of Microsoft's actions but that has nothing to do with why I posted.  I was under the impression you weren't sure about who can upgrade.  Sorry if I sent you on a rant.  That was never my intention.

#10 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

Sorry if I sent you on a rant.  That was never my intention.

I didn't take anything you said personally. :) I also understand that your post was only informational in case I wasn't aware.

*Sigh*

Just dealing with other people attempting to manipulate my husband and I lately *think, ex-wife issues* and issues on another forum. And my husband unknowingly took the free upgrade. I didn't find out until it was too late for him to uninstall it. BUT, a hard restore got rid of it. That might prove helpful to someone else, whether they want to keep Win10 or not.

-Henry Ford

#11 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

BTW, do you have a rat? Agouti is a color of fur in some rats.

Or maybe agouti means something else too. I have an agouti hooded rat.

-Henry Ford

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

No, I don't have a rat.  I just picked the name because of something I heard once.

Back to the topic of your post, I believe post #2 by Frizzlee is what you are looking for.

#13 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:38 PM

Were it me, I would upgrade to Win10 now and square everything away.  With the PC working fine, I would make a backup image of the drive somewhere (or two somewheres) and then wipe the partition and install Win7.  No need for all the complication.  If you decide to move on to Win10 then back up the Win7 installation, and wipe the partition and reinstall the Win10 image.  Since Windows 8.1 and 10 require Secure Boot environment and Win7 cannot handle it, a dual boot system is doable but can be complicated.

#14 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

....I would make a backup image of the drive somewhere (or two somewheres) and then wipe the partition and install Win7.....reinstall the Win10 image. 

I had assumed that I can't install a backup image on a clean drive. If that's the case, I'd rather wipe the drive completely. I have an extra 500 GB hard drive.

What I'd really like to do is move Win 10 to the smaller drive and put 7 on the bigger one.

So I guess I could make a back up image of 8.1, then upgrade to 10 and make a backup image of that too?

I'm also assuming that a backup image would have to be installed on the same PC?

-Henry Ford

#15 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

Would the backup image have to be installed on the same PC it was created on, is what I mean.

-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users