Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP BIOS recovery usb

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bobbywat61

bobbywat61

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hi folks. Apparently me and HP laptops just donr get along but I seem to get a lot of them handed to me so I do my best. I have an HP Pavilion G7 A8 that will not boot. It will power up and sit there with a black backlit screen. Every so often I will get a meassage that says "The CMOS checksum is invalid. The CMOS wil be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted. Please check your bios settings to see if theyve changed".  Problem is when you reboot nothing has changed. Same issue. Sometimes it allows me to mash F10 and it will actually go to the bios settings where everything seems normal. So I figured a CMOS battery change was in order, it was a nightmare getting to this one. Had to pull the motherboard out. Just changed it and got it back together and same thing. So ive narrowed it down to a corrupt BIOS file, I believe. After digging through HPs website I found the instructions on the recovery but its very muddy. Apparently I need to download the newest BIOS batch andput one of the files on the formatted USB and then start the laptop while holding WIN + B. Nothing seems to work. Or maybe theres another option. Just curious if anyone else has had ran across a similar issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bob

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

If you reset the BIOS to defaults after the battery replacement and followed the instructions on this page then I would contact HP support for further info. According to the page you can access the recovery BIOS by holding the Windows key and B at startup without using the flash drive if the hard drive is functional.

#3 bobbywat61

bobbywat61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

ThankS for the reply John. I've tried that amd the laptop is unresponsive. No beeps, no bios update screen. The only thing it will allow me to do is hit F10 amd enter the bios settings. Other than that it just powers up aND sits there with a black background lit screen. Im sure it has to do with a corrupted bios. The customer said they talked with HP customer service but it didn't help. I'll give them a call later when I have 3 hours to waste.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

Another thing to try is to powercycle the computer. Pull the power and remove the battery. Hold the power button down for 60 seconds. Do not replace the battery, attach the power adapter and reboot.

I have come across sites that suggest extracting a file from the HP BIOS download and change the name to BIN then use the Windows + B key. This page may or may not help. 

#5 bobbywat61

bobbywat61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

Right. I've tried the "bin" file deal. The only problem is there are 3 bin files. Thanks for the advice on the restart. I've tried multiple power down restarts but haven't tried without the battery in. I'll give it a shot

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

If the powercycle does not work have you tried creating the USB flash drive with the BIOS as per the instruction in the link I posted. I seems double clicking the exe file give an option to create a bootable USB flash drive. 

#7 bobbywat61

bobbywat61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the ideas. This laptop will not boot. End of story. was able to finally use some F key commands and nothing. F11 recovery seemed promising, windows logo came up and said "prepairing to recover your PC" sat there for an hour and then the screen went black like before and sat there another hour and a half before I decided to shut it down. Was able to use F9 and choose the boot device, was able to get it to recognize a windows 8 boot usb I made but it did the same thing that the recovery did, acted like it was gonna repair and just sat there. That one I left all night and in the morning, black screen. There is no way to fix this BIOS, and im starting to believe that it more than likely the HD, which means that the recovery partition may be unaccessable. Im going to try one more thing, take out the HD and hook it up to my laptop, hook my external up to my laptop as well and then use Acronis to try and make a recovery of the recovery partition from the bad laptop. Maybe I can create a boot disk that way, otherwise I think its down to just getting a new HD and a new copy of windows, finding and downloading all the drivers and software. By that time it will cost more than its worth, garbage can folks. The worst part is is that the woners did nothing to this laptop. This is the kind of crap HP puts out there. This is probably the 20 HP laptop Ive had dropped off to me. Unbeliavable

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

My thoughts were the HDrive originally on following this post , i own a HP G6 and since day one { Had 2 Yrs } wiped the drive , installed Win 7 , drivers , updated , image the drive , and have had no issues what so ever , runs great , recently installed Samsung Evo SSd 500G { 6 Mths } and still runs perfect.

So i assume im like you and hate the HP Bloatware , if only they could refine it for better user use , and not what they think we need , as people still need to ring their support teams on issues.

I have repaired many , so i just remove the un needed { Useless } and leave the rest , for the user to have some tools etc , eg Recovery.

#9 bobbywat61

bobbywat61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

That solved it. It a bad HD. The drive wont spin. So Now im going to have to figure out how much HP will charge for the recovery discs or if the owner will have to pay for a new copy of windows.........

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:20 PM

Id get a HDrive and Win 7 , depends on the owner and their wishes , but it should be better without the HP Bloat.

Next time with any similar Bios issues on future Lappys , just remove the Drive and then see if access is ok , thats what i do , and check the drive on another Pc  { Slaved } for any issues etc ..tests / chkdsk etc.

#11 bobbywat61

bobbywat61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

My thoughts were the HDrive originally on following this post , i own a HP G6 and since day one { Had 2 Yrs } wiped the drive , installed Win 7 , drivers , updated , image the drive , and have had no issues what so ever , runs great , recently installed Samsung Evo SSd 500G { 6 Mths } and still runs perfect.

So i assume im like you and hate the HP Bloatware , if only they could refine it for better user use , and not what they think we need , as people still need to ring their support teams on issues.

I have repaired many , so i just remove the un needed { Useless } and leave the rest , for the user to have some tools etc , eg Recovery.

Right. It was the HD the entire time. I just order the recovery DVD's from HP and was surprised the recovery was only $25 bucks. Ordered a new HD off Amazon for $38. Will have it up and running in no time. It was a Samsung HD that died. Thats honestly the first HD that Ive see that was actually completely dead.  Probably because when Crystal disk tells me they are at a caution, I basically always change them out before this happens. Good reason to do so.

#12 bobbywat61

bobbywat61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

Id get a HDrive and Win 7 , depends on the owner and their wishes , but it should be better without the HP Bloat.

Next time with any similar Bios issues on future Lappys , just remove the Drive and then see if access is ok , thats what i do , and check the drive on another Pc  { Slaved } for any issues etc ..tests / chkdsk etc.

Exactly. This was a good, but frustrating, lesson learned. Check the HD first

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users