Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 HP laptop stuck on repair boot loop.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 YukonJon

YukonJon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

Screen went blank today and restarted saying there's and error and windows is going to fix it automatically. The furthest it gets is a screen where it says "diagnosing your PC".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

Perhaps you can find the answer at the HP Support Forums.

It deals with Windows 8.1 in particular.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

Try restarting the computer and see if it will boot normally.

Did you create a recovery disk when you first got this computer?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have a installation disc for this version of Windows 8/8.1?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

I've tried several times to restart and it just keeps going to the repair screen. Unfortunately I have no recovery disc but I did make a repair disc after this started. However every time I try and boot with the disc nothing happens. Do I need to enable legacy and reconfigure boot options there? It's an HP 15-f039wm.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

If this is a bootable disc you will need to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first device and the hdd/ssd is the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

Yeah it's supposed to be. You'll have to explain. The list is: Internal CD/DVD ROM drive, USB CD/DVD ROM drive. OS boot manager, USB diskette on key/USB hard disk and Network Adapter.

#7 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

That's the UEFI boot order. UEFI is what's enabled. Legacy is disabled. Legacy has "notebook hard drive" in the boot list along with everything else except OS boot manager..

#8 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

Can somebody please help me with this. Even when I try system restore options using F11 it just ends up going to a blank blue screen.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

F11 is the key press for a factory reset on HP computers. You can try the following to get to Advanced Boot Options and from there try doing a Startup Repair or System Restore. It may take up to three attempts to do a complete Startup Repair.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/advanced-startup-options-menu-in-windows-8/

#10 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

It always says automatic repair everytime I shut it off and restart. Then eventually it goes to a blue blank screen no matter what.

#11 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

That's why I was wanting to try to restore the computer. I don't care about saving anything that was on it. I just want it to work again.. What happens is it says preparing automatic repair it goes to a screen that says your computer encountered and error and that it's going to restart to start the repair or whatever and nothing happens.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

You want to get the Advanced Repair Options as shown in my link. Did you follow the instructions in post #9. This should get you to the the Advanced Repair Options. From there you can do a reset if you want to take the computer back.

If there is nothing you need on the computer and the computer came with Windows 8 pre-installed you can download Windows 8.1 install media here. Then do a clean install per this guide. Because the key is embedded in firmware the computer will self-activate once online. You may need to install a few drivers after the install.

If doing an install using the media creation tool you will no longer have the included HP software you had on the computer. You will need to download and install again if you want the software from HP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2016 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users