Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update in Win7 is stuck in a loop trying to search for updates

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 capricorntony13

capricorntony13

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

Hello, 

I have 2 laptops with the identical issue. I am trying to work on one before fixing the other. 

I have been working with another Bleeping Computer tech, and he referred me to this forum. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611431/infected-with-win32bundledtoolbargoogled/?view=getnewpost

the above thread is the last communication that we have had on the topic. My problem is this: Windows Update in Win7 is stuck in a loop trying to search for updates.    At one time, I did an ESET Online Scanner scan and came up with a virus. The virus was cleaned, but I still have the issue with not getting Windows Updates. This one laptop in particular, the issue started when I had Vista on there. I had since erased the hard drive in a 3-swipe process, and I did this 3 times. After the first time, I used Win 7 on there instead of Vista. The problem still persists. Can you help me with this issue? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

I would say if the system has been checked by others as per your last original post and stated clean.

Then i see you say that Windows Update - stalls ? ... { You could check Task Manager - Running Tasks - and if WU is running ok.

Does this mean the PC is unresponsive or just Updates taking to long ? { No % Increase }.

I have had PCs take over 10 hours to process and then download.

Hopefully all your Services are still correctly Set ? , i would run the Windows Update over night , the longer the better , and see if it can actually complete.

This has been an issue for quite sometime after intro of Win10 , and for Win 7 machines to be last inline and  ess of a priorty over 10.

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

Take a look at this Windows article.  Lots of information and there may be some little tweak you and others have overlooked.  One section in particular is What to do when things go wrong.

Which version of Windows 7 are you using?  This support page is aimed at the Windows 7 Home Premium version Windows Support.  

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 capricorntony13

capricorntony13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:45 PM

To Havachat and TulsaRose,   I am running Win 7 Home Premium. I checked the BITS, CryptServ, and WU. BITS was stopped and its properties was set to Manual. CryptServ was running and set to Auto. WnUpdate was running and set to Auto(delayed). I stopped all 3, set all 3 to Auto(delayed), and ran a scan. This morning, I ran it for an hour. Previously, I was able to get ONE update for Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320. And, that's all. During a previous conversation, I was able to download and install IE 11. But, during this morning's run, I was able to authenticate my OS, because, when I installed the OS, I check-marked that I did not want it to automatically authenticate. I did so, and, starting from 10pm this evening, I ran another WU scan. I opened Task Manager and checked the BITS, CryptServ, and WU was running. It seems as though Windows Update stalls.  The windows says that it is checking for updates, and the green light slowly goes across the bar from left to right, then left to right, similar to KITT from the Knight Rider TV show in the 80's ( that red light went back and forth, this green light only goes from left to right, then reappears on the left an goes to the right, etc ). While this is running, I can still do stuff on the laptop. It also says: most recent check for updates: never; updates were installed: never; and I receive updates: for windows only. I also ran the windows update troubleshooter. it gave these messages: service registration is missing or corrupt - fixed; problems installing recent updates - fixed; and problems installing recent updates - fixed. I'll let it run overnight until about 10am tomorrow, and I'll let you guys know what happened. As of about midnight, it's still stalled. 

#5 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:09 AM

I was fighting this same problem for two weeks straight and it ended up that I had screwed up my registry beyond repair. Seems like you know a lot about computers...more than me. 

So maybe this may seem silly to take these measures, but who knows, every squirrel finds a nut. Me being the squirrel. Besides, I wouldn't be posting this unless I knew how excruciating what you're going through is.

You may not be able to get any updates going through Microsoft essentials either.

First and foremost of course you checked your connection/router etc..

Try these if you haven't:

This is an update diagnostic and repair tool. Run it twice to make sure that it has corrected any problems. Depending on the severity of your situation, it may get fooled into thinking the problems were repaired. You may see the second time that it wasn't fixed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

If that doesn't work try this. It was a patch, sort of by microsoft, to fix update inconsistencies in Service Pack 1 for Win7.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

Here's my final and last resort and if this doesn't work then there's something in your registry that's beyond repair unless you're a Win7 wizard. It takes you step by step through the registry repair process running C: as an admin. The Fix it tool on top of the page is the same as the diagnostic I mentioned above, so you may wanna skip that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If these don't work then you or someone is going to have to pull some serious wizardry to fix your problem. Like I said, my registry was so screwed up that I was beyond the above repairs. Maybe these seem elementary or you may have even tried them. I just thought I'd try to help since I struggled to get this resolved. Disregard if this is too elementary, good luck.

#6 TimErle

TimErle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:53 AM

This Solution worked for me

http://sm.krelay.de/wu/

Often it helps to install the newest Update Client

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

#7 capricorntony13

capricorntony13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:06 AM

OK....

I first want to mention that, in this forum, I have wiped out my hard drive for the third time, using a program called Wipe Drive. I selected to wipe the drive in a 3-swipe step, deleting with all zero, then all ones, then random data and verify. All issues happen before and after a fresh install of the OS. 

I started with TimErle's first suggestion, and I am updated to the latest KB. I am still having the issue. I then went with AllStock's advice. Yes, I have followed those procedures before, but mostly after the 2nd time I wiped out my drive and re-installed the OS. I have been taking a methodical approach to try to solve the issue. Today, i will post the recent scans in the past day of so after scanning the laptop using the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Recently, I have looked at the Services 'attribute' ( don't know a better word ), and I have noticed that BITS is off and set to Manual, Crypto Services ( or whatever ) is set to Automatic, and Windows Update is set to Automatic ( delayed ). This seems to be it's normal operation upon startup. During the scans, I was only getting results like:

Service registration is missing or corrupt - fixed. 

Problems installing recent updates - fixed. 

I since switched things in Services so that all 3, BITS, the Crypto thing, and WU, are all set to Automatic, then I ran my scans. After a while, I stopped the scan. I tried to cancel out of the scan, but it would not let me. I stopped it by stopping all 3 things in Services. After restarting all 3 and re-scanned, I now have a new error: Windows update error # 0x80080005. After a reboot, the 3 Services attributes return to their 'normal' values.

After the scans, I click on View Detailed report, and it generates a Troubleshooting report. This morning, after startup, I have scanned twice, and, below, I have posted the results with the general report and of the detailed report. Notice that there are inconsistencies between the two (oh, and I state more after the results):

Morning scan report #1:

windows update error 0x80080005 - NOT fixed
service registration is missing or corrupt - fixed
problems installing recent updates - fixed

problems installing recent updates - fixed 

morning details scan report #1:

PrintWindows Update Publisher details 

Issues found 
Service registration is missing or corruptService registration is missing or corrupt Fixed Fixed 
Reset service registration Completed 

Windows Update error 0x80080005(2016-05-05-T-06_16_04A)Windows Update error 0x80080005(2016-05-05-T-06_16_04A) Fixed Fixed 
Resetting Windows Update data store Completed 

Problems installing recent updatesProblems installing recent updates Fixed Fixed 
Repair Windows Update Completed 

Problems installing recent updatesProblems installing recent updates Fixed Fixed 

Potential issues that were checked 
Windows Update environment variables are incorrectWindows Update environment variables are incorrect Issue not present  
Some security settings are missing or have been changedSome security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present  
Check for missing or corrupt filesCheck for missing or corrupt files Issue not present  
Windows Update services are not runningWindows Update services are not running Issue not present  
Cryptographic service components are not registeredCryptographic service components are not registered Issue not present  

Issues found Detection details 

6 Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed Fixed 

6 Windows Update error 0x80080005(2016-05-05-T-06_16_04A) Fixed Fixed 

InformationalDataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip 
30.18MB 
File Name:  DataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip 

6 Problems installing recent updates Fixed Fixed 

Repair Windows Update services and dependencies 

Potential issues that were checked Detection details 

Windows Update environment variables are incorrect Issue not present  

Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present  

Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present  

Windows Update services are not running Issue not present  

Cryptographic service components are not registered Issue not present  

Detection details Expand 

InformationalError Report 
RootCause: RC_DataStore 
ErrorCode: 0x80080005 
TimeDetected: 2016-05-05-T-06:16:04A 

InformationalCollected File 
File Name:  CheckSURLog.cab 

Collection information 
Computer Name:  CARMELA-PC 
Windows Version: 6.1 
Architecture: amd64 
Time: Thursday, May 05, 2016 6:14:56 AM 

Publisher details Expand 

Background Intelligent Transfer Service 
Find and fix problems that may prevent background downloads from working 
Package Version: 1.2.1.20140627 
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation 
Windows Update 
Find and fix problems with Windows Update 
Package Version: 8.1.1.20140627 
Windows Update 

morning scan report #2:
windows update error 0x80080005 - NOT fixed
problems installing recent updates - NOT fixed
service registration is missing or corrupt - fixed

morning details scan report #2:
PrintWindows Update Publisher details 

Issues found 
Service registration is missing or corrupt Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed Fixed 

Windows Update error 0x80080005(2016-05-05-T-06_16_04A) Windows Update error 0x80080005(2016-05-05-T-06_16_04A) Fixed Fixed 

Problems installing recent updates Problems installing recent updates Fixed Fixed 

Problems installing recent updates Problems installing recent updates Fixed Fixed 

Potential issues that were checked 
Windows Update environment variables are incorrect Windows Update environment variables are incorrect Issue not present  
Some security settings are missing or have been changed Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present  
Check for missing or corrupt files Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present  
Windows Update services are not running Windows Update services are not running Issue not present  
Cryptographic service components are not registered Cryptographic service components are not registered Issue not present  

Issues found Detection details 

6 Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed Fixed 

6 Windows Update error 0x80080005(2016-05-05-T-06_16_04A) Fixed Fixed 

InformationalDataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip 
30.18MB 
File Name:  DataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip 

Potential issues that were checked Detection details 

Windows Update environment variables are incorrect Issue not present  

Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present  

Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present  

Windows Update services are not running Issue not present  

Cryptographic service components are not registered Issue not present  

Detection details Expand 

InformationalError Report 
RootCause: RC_DataStore 
ErrorCode: 0x80080005 
TimeDetected: 2016-05-05-T-06:16:04A 

InformationalCollected File 
File Name:  CheckSURLog.cab 

Collection information 
Computer Name:  CARMELA-PC 
Windows Version: 6.1 
Architecture: amd64 
Time: Thursday, May 05, 2016 6:14:56 AM 

Publisher details Expand 

Background Intelligent Transfer Service 
Find and fix problems that may prevent background downloads from working 
Package Version: 1.2.1.20140627 
Windows Update 
Windows Update 

I also ran TimErle's System Readiness Tool, and it runs the Windows Update Standalone Installer, which gives me the same issue as if I ran Windows Update as an administrator. I also want to mention that I have used the command prompt as as administrator, used net stop on wuauserv, bits, and cryptserv, renamed the software distribution and catroot2 folders, and restarted them, but I just saw another suggestion with the same method, but it included msiserver, which I have not done before. since the folders are already renamed, all that I could do is to stop and start all 4 and run the windows standalone installer.so far, no luck. 

Edited by capricorntony13, 05 May 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:38 AM

Hi Capricorntony13,

I would not advise to mess with the windows services because that could result in more problems...

Please execute the following to check some windows critical services...
Download Farbar Service Scanner and save the file to the Desktop.

• Run FSS
  • Check all the options
  • click Scan

Post the generated log in your reply.

Do you have any notification icon on the taskbar related to the Windows 10 offer?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 capricorntony13

capricorntony13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

OK....

I will answer the last question first, and you'll see why. No, I do not see any notification icon on the taskbar related to the Win10 offer, thank God.

Now, I have run the FSS scan 3 times. Once in regular mode, once in Safe Mode with Networking, and once solely in Safe Mode. 

FSS - regular:

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 27-01-2016
Ran by Carmela (administrator) on 05-05-2016 at 21:24:11
Running from "C:\Users\Carmela\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy: 
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Policy: 
========================

Action Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy: 
============================

Windows Defender:
==============

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dhcpcore.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => File is digitally signed

**** End of log ****

FSS - smwn:
Ran by Carmela (administrator) on 05-05-2016 at 21:29:12
Boot Mode: Network

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

==================

System Restore:
============
SDRSVC Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of SDRSVC service is OK.
The ImagePath of SDRSVC service is OK.
The ServiceDll of SDRSVC service is OK.

VSS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of VSS service is OK.
The ImagePath of VSS service is OK.

System Restore Policy: 
========================

Action Center:
============

wscsvc Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wscsvc service is OK.
The ImagePath of wscsvc service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wscsvc service is OK.

Windows Update:
============
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wuauserv service is OK.
The ImagePath of wuauserv service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wuauserv: "C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll".

BITS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of BITS service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of BITS service is OK.
The ServiceDll of BITS service is OK.

EventSystem Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of EventSystem service is OK.
The ImagePath of EventSystem service is OK.
The ServiceDll of EventSystem service is OK.

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is OK.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.
The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK.

Windows Defender Disabled Policy: 
==========================

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========

**** End of log ****

FSS - sm (no networking):
Ran by Carmela (administrator) on 05-05-2016 at 21:33:47
Boot Mode: Minimal

Internet Services:
============
Dnscache Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of Dnscache service is OK.
The ImagePath of Dnscache service is OK.
The ServiceDll of Dnscache service is OK.

Dhcp Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of Dhcp service is OK.
The ImagePath of Dhcp service is OK.
The ServiceDll of Dhcp service is OK.

Nsi Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of Nsi service is OK.
The ImagePath of Nsi service is OK.
The ServiceDll of Nsi service is OK.

nsiproxy Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of nsiproxy service is OK.
The ImagePath of nsiproxy service is OK.

tdx Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of tdx service is OK.
The ImagePath of tdx service is OK.

afd Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of afd service is OK.
The ImagePath of afd service is OK.

Connection Status:
==============
Attempt to access Local Host IP returned error: Localhost is blocked: Other errors
There is no connection to network.
Attempt to access Google IP returned error. Other errors
Attempt to access Google.com returned error: Other errors
Attempt to access Yahoo.com returned error: Other errors

Windows Firewall:
=============
mpsdrv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of mpsdrv service is OK.
The ImagePath of mpsdrv service is OK.

MpsSvc Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of MpsSvc service is OK.
The ImagePath of MpsSvc service is OK.
The ServiceDll of MpsSvc service is OK.

bfe Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of bfe service is OK.
The ImagePath of bfe service is OK.
The ServiceDll of bfe service is OK.

==================

System Restore:
============
SDRSVC Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of SDRSVC service is OK.
The ImagePath of SDRSVC service is OK.
The ServiceDll of SDRSVC service is OK.

VSS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of VSS service is OK.
The ImagePath of VSS service is OK.

System Restore Policy: 
========================

Action Center:
============

wscsvc Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wscsvc service is OK.
The ImagePath of wscsvc service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wscsvc service is OK.

Windows Update:
============
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wuauserv service is OK.
The ImagePath of wuauserv service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wuauserv: "C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll".

BITS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of BITS service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of BITS service is OK.
The ServiceDll of BITS service is OK.

EventSystem Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of EventSystem service is OK.
The ImagePath of EventSystem service is OK.
The ServiceDll of EventSystem service is OK.

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is OK.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.
The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK.

Windows Defender Disabled Policy: 
==========================

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========

**** End of log ****

I also wanted to point out this article. I think that this does not apply to me, but it shows that MS sucks. 

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:17 AM

Hi,

I only need to see the report in normal mode. But thanks.

If you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 then we need to configure windows to stop the upgrade offer.

Check Windows System files integrity

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the following command and press Enter:
    sfc /scannow

Note: This may take some time to finish.

let me know if it doesn't say "No integrity violations found"

Edited by SleepyDude, 06 May 2016 - 03:20 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#11 capricorntony13

capricorntony13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

SleepyDude, 

I figured that I would let you know either way. 

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. 

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

Ok.

- Disable Automatic Updates:
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > "Never check for updates"

- Stop the Windows Update Service if its running press Windows7_key_R2.pngand type services.msc, locate Windows Update on the list of services, if its running right click on it and click Stop

- Install the following Updates
KB3145739 https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=18c67970-0068-4faf-b2c8-8391a7ccb289
KB3078601 https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=24aa4f1e-b7aa-44fd-8c60-c7fab849fd46
KB3087039 https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8a415838-4165-4b81-b541-39cac1cca0a0
KB3109094 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50276
KB3138612 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7d72781f-e4ae-41c6-bbba-9b845db33b2a

- Restart the computer

Notes:
- If any of the updates says it's already installed simply Cancel and move on to the next;
- After installing any of the updates Windows will ask for a restart select Restart latter until the last one;

___
Rui

#13 capricorntony13

capricorntony13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

Malware Response Team, 

I made the WU settings so that it never checks for updates.

I stopped the WU service in the Services function. ( BITS is off and set for Manual, CryptServ is on and set for Automatic, WU is now off and set for Auto(delayed), and Windows Installer is off and set to Manual ).

I downloaded each update, and, to my surprise, it downloaded and installed successfully. I checked the Update History and it confirmed that I updated:

Update for Windows ( KB3136812 )

Security Update for Windows ( KB3087039 )

Security Update for Windows ( KB3078601 )

Security Update for Windows ( KB3145739 )

The only issue that happened was that I failed to see your last line in your instructions that states that I should restart the laptop only after ALL updates have been installed. I did not do this, and I restarted the laptop after each install. If you want, I can uninstall the updates and reinstall if it is necessary to make the proper fix. Let me know either way. 

As a test, I ran Windows Update, and I still have the same issue. I made two actions, and I will explain the last one first. I ran Microsoft Fix It 50123, and it says that it processed. I ran WU again, same issue. 

I ran Windows Update Diagnostics twice, back to back. I forgot the error codes that I have gotten in the recent past, but a new error code popped up. The main screen of the programs shows 3 issues, while the details reports shows that the 3 issues that were detected, were indeed fixed. The error codes are:

Windows Update error: 0x80070005 ( after I looked this code up, it says that this code means that permissions were not given for WU ) - NOT fixed.

Problems Installing Recent Updates - NOT fixed.

Service Registration is Missing or Corrupt - Fixed. 

In the detailed report, the error code shows that the root cause is RC_DataStore, and that the checked file is CheckSURLog.cab. 

And this is where I am currently stuck with the same issue.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:42 AM

The only issue that happened was that I failed to see your last line in your instructions that states that I should restart the laptop only after ALL updates have been installed. I did not do this, and I restarted the laptop after each install. If you want, I can uninstall the updates and reinstall if it is necessary to make the proper fix. Let me know either way.

No problem. The way you did it only took a longer time. :)

As a test, I ran Windows Update, and I still have the same issue. I made two actions, and I will explain the last one first. I ran Microsoft Fix It 50123, and it says that it processed. I ran WU again, same issue. 

I ran Windows Update Diagnostics twice, back to back. I forgot the error codes that I have gotten in the recent past, but a new error code popped up. The main screen of the programs shows 3 issues, while the details reports shows that the 3 issues that were detected, were indeed fixed. The error codes are:

Windows Update error: 0x80070005 ( after I looked this code up, it says that this code means that permissions were not given for WU ) - NOT fixed.
Problems Installing Recent Updates - NOT fixed.
Service Registration is Missing or Corrupt - Fixed. 

In the detailed report, the error code shows that the root cause is RC_DataStore, and that the checked file is CheckSURLog.cab. 

And this is where I am currently stuck with the same issue.

Please avoid running any other fix's. I would like to see some logs before deciding for a course of action.

» Minitoolbox log
Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:

• Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Restore Points

Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

Export the CBS folder

• Click the Start button Win7Orb.gif then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please, if the file is big please upload to this site sendspace.com and post the sharing URL

___
Rui

#15 capricorntony13

capricorntony13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

Breaking news:

When I posted the last response, I was still using WU to scan for updates, expecting it to fail yet again, as it has for weeks. After about an hour of scanning, I FINALLY got action. A window came up and said that I have 213 important updates, 210 selected, and a separate 10 optional updates. So, we are starting to look good. 

Before I start the 210 updates at once ( unless you suggest differently, because some have told me that I need to do them one at a time ), I will write down each KB# so if I have issues, I know that I have the option to download each one individually. Please let me know what you think. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users