Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VMWare Workstation crashing Cinnamon desktop.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:17 AM

I understood gdm3 was the manager service that supported the desktop application as well as letting you choose which one. For example when I restart the service the machine will come back to the login screen and I can start the xsession again, and the xsession log is reset.

Thanks for the link (I was actually looking at that page earlier), though I'm not seeing the crashing and logging section?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:16 AM

Down near the bottom, search for "core dump" I think.

So is the desktop crashing or just locking up?  If locking up, what does that mean, can't control the mouse, or other stuff?  Sometimes the VM software (VirtualBox, VMWare, etc) can "capture" the mouse if it's running windowed and it can seem like things locked up.

When it went bad, doing top showed nothing spinning at 100% cpu?  ps -ef shows nothing weird (like no desktop processes)?  Is gdb installed on the host?  If it is and something looks like it's taking up lots of CPU, use gdb to attach to the running process and type in "bt" (back trace) to get a quick stack dump.  That tells you where something is.

I ran into a weird one at work, a laptop with Intel i915, running RHEL.  Things would appear normal until you did "xset -dpms" then the Xorg process went to 100%.  SSH into the machine would be fine, killing X would bring it back to life.  Turned out to be a "nomodeset" on the grub boot line (cat /proc/cmdline to see how your kernel booted).  i915 graphics needs kernel mode set support enabled.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#18 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

The desktop is just locking up. I can control the mouse, it's not captured by VMWare. It even changes pointer style as I mouse over the VM hot spots, it's just that nothing works except ctrl+alt+Fxx.

Nothing at 100%, no resource issues.

It may just be a bug, like this old bug report.

#19 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

Ok, just wanted to double check.  That bug report is interesting;  I assume you tried the suggestions?  If you are running VMWare in a window (so you have a desktop for it), there is a lot of interaction with the host desktop window manager.   

I'm pretty much out of ideas, if you can post logs (dmesg output, /var/log/messages or syslog, /var/log/Xorg.*.log) we may be able to figure something out.

#20 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

Here's the freeze in /var/log/messages

May  3 07:59:49 mispc4-deb /etc/gdm3/Xsession[2587]: Received signal:15->'Terminated'
May  3 07:59:49 mispc4-deb /etc/gdm3/Xsession[2587]: Received signal:15->'Terminated'
May  3 07:59:49 mispc4-deb /etc/gdm3/Xsession[2587]: (cinnamon-settings-daemon:2654): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Error releasing name org.cinnamon.SettingsDaemon: The connection is closed
May  3 07:59:49 mispc4-deb /etc/gdm3/Xsession[2587]: (cinnamon-settings-daemon:2654): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 24 was not found when attempting to remove it
May  3 07:59:49 mispc4-deb org.a11y.Bus[2634]: g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
May  3 07:59:49 mispc4-deb /etc/gdm3/Xsession[2587]: OK
May  3 07:59:49 mispc4-deb org.freedesktop.Tracker1[2634]: g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

There's a pile of non-fatal errors associated with my keyboard beforehand, but nothing else of note.

#21 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

anyway to tell what's sending that signal?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#22 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

anyway to tell what's sending that signal?

I don't know how to do so positively. I can tell you that the last thing I touch before this happens is VMWare Workstation.

#23 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

Not particularly familiar with doing this on Linux, but could you try attaching a debugger? you could follow what sends what that way...

#24 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

I'm not really a Linux pro either, I've only been using it primarily for a few years. That would be hard for me to interpret. I wouldn't even know where to start tbh.

#25 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

gdb is the debugger typically found on Linux.  man gdb should be enough to get you started.  bt (backtrace), up/down (move up and down the stack), p (print data), run, c (continue), attach (attach to a pid).

Is there an ".xsession-errors" file in the user directory?  There may be something there.  /etc/gdm3/Xsession:  is that a shell script?  Typically only an "owner" of a process can send a signal to it, so whatever is starting it up should be the only one able to signal to it (except of course root).

#26 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

I've found a workaround.

By putting VMWare Workstation in it's own workspace the problem has stopped occurring. I guess I could put it back and keep up with the hunt to find the source of the issue, but quite frankly I don't have the time or inclination.

Thanks everyone who offered suggestions and help.

:busy:

#27 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

Glad you found a workaround, and hope it continues to work :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users