Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VMWare Workstation crashing Cinnamon desktop.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm running Debian Jessie with Cinnamon desktop, VMWare Workstation 12. At random intervals VMWare will crash my desktop.

Syslog is showing me very little info, just that somethings gone wrong and freeze.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 05:43 PM.
Moved from Linux & Unix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

I have personally had much better results with VirtualBox over VMWare on Linux, but that may be just me. Any sort of stack trace given for the crash? Anything in particular seem to trigger it (file ops, heavy resource issues)?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

I'm using VMWare Workstation to manage a cluster.

I haven't enabled stack trace logging and I can't see any  resource issues. I've just been looking at the session log before restarting the desktop manager. It's really random, it just seems to crap itself in the space of 10 lines and then freeze. But it doesn't point to anything, just tells me it's failed, then nothing.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

Opps, bad post!

Edited by pcpunk, 02 May 2016 - 10:57 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

That's not even the same program mate.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

Next time it does it I'll post the session log, from just where it starts to go wrong.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:29 PM

That might help.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

That might help.

Yeah... my analyst couldn't figure it out, but I guess he doesn't know everything. (though it does appear so at times)

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:57 AM

Are you using the free or Pro product? 

I ask because am running the VMware Workstation Player & have no issues, though have only ran on on Linux Mint MATE (Not Cinnamon), and on a non-Linux OS in Windows 7. Cinnamon has been 'matured' since 2013, and they repeat this with every release, yet no matter which computer I install it on, the background jumps out at me after logon (I consider this a defect, others may not). Maybe they're trying to convince themselves, but haven't me. Not with flying out wallpapers. 

Three things for sure that will cause crashes, assigning too much RAM to a VM (more than half of the physical available), not enough Swap area, even if you have ample RAM, and finally lower grade (Tier 2, including refurbished brands) that's more consumer oriented, yet may not meet the needs of high demanding apps. 

The other two things I can think of, both still RAM related, are mismatched brands & timings, and finally, RAM in the early stages that's beginning to tap out on you. May give no issues when using the computer for general use, until a load is placed upon it. One other thing, have you made sure your RAM modules are seated well?

My VMware Workstation has a 4GB Swap area to work with (thanks to that software), otherwise with 32GB installed will only install a 1GiB Swap for the sake of it. Yet that wasn't enough for VMware, and when assigning 12GB to a VM, the warning was came fast that I was low on Swap. Not even giving 4GB Swap alone solved the issue, also had to reduce the RAM in the guest to 8GB for the popups to stop. So it seems that going over 2x the Swap in assigning RAM to the VM will trigger a warning. 

My suggestion in the short term, is to use the bootable RAM test offered in the Grub menu, and let it run as long as it needs to complete, if your RAM is in the early stages of going bad, there may be errors, because the test will place all types of loads on the modules. If there's zero errors, look at either increasing Swap (if you need the assigned RAM), or if you can get by with less, then lower the amount of RAM assigned to the VM (easiest fix). Or upgrade with more RAM, prices are close to 2011 lows & can increase on any given day. All it'll take is a mishap at one major manufacturing facility, that'll be excuse to raise pricing. 

Fortunately, the industry didn't with the last mishap, go ape crazy to almost the point of crossing the criminal line as the HDD one did in 2011, their OEM's created a false 'shortage' that never existed, and forever did themselves permanent damage, as the SSD industry seized the moment & won many consumers over with lowered pricing. Now most enthusiasts installs SSD's only for OS usage & many regular users who purchases from OEM's makes an SSD the first upgrade performed, from the supplier, or at home. Many are shipping with these drives out of the box.

A shortage is defined as having to wait a long time to get components. HDD's were available with overnight shipping if needed & in retail stores, for 3x the cost days earlier, the eBay suppliers & other used HDD reseller's dream come true, many were purchased during this period with only a small price increase. The RAM OEM's didn't let history repeat itself over a fire at one plant, there was a small, yet brief hike. Still RAM is a commodity, and low supply & high demand will jack pricing back up, so if you need more, now's the time to grab. :)

Please let us know if we can further assist & as to current progress. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:08 AM

It's a pro version, I manage a cluster with it. I mentioned that in post #3.

My computer isn't crashing, my vm's aren't crashing, the desktop manager is crashing/freezing. (see thread title)

There is no physical or allocation problem with the RAM. there isn't even a memory leak, I checked. I already mentioned there was no resource issues in post #3.

And why are you talking about hard drives and consumer pricing? What is going on?

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:46 AM

And why are you talking about hard drives and consumer pricing? What is going on?

My point was that the RAM industry didn't do the same, when they could had. :)

Plus I've see in this section of the forum, way too many members creating VM's on Walmart grade hardware, or that of 10 years ago, and wonders 'what's wrong with my VM' on 2GB total system RAM. When they needed at least 12-16GB to think about running VM's seriously. Preferably twice that amount, depending on what one plans to do with the VM. 

Since your hardware looks good, and the only issue is that your desktop manager is freezing, maybe poking in the logs of the VM may help. Or w/out reinstalling the one you have setup for present use, create another like it & see what happens, that's as close as duplicating the issue as it gets. 

There was also a recent VMware release that may or may not have addressed your issue. Just installed last night on another Linux Mint MATE install, haven't had a chance to create any VM's yet. Though am considering Mint Debian. 

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 03 May 2016 - 01:46 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

OP, is the host still alive?  It sounds like it is, just that the window manager goes belly up.  When it does this, can you ssh into the host and simply do a top?  Reason is to check for Xorg spinning at 100%.  There may also be information in the X server log (/var/log/X.0.log most likely). 

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:14 AM

My point was that the RAM industry didn't do the same, when they could had. :)

Plus I've see in this section of the forum, way too many members creating VM's on Walmart grade hardware, or that of 10 years ago, and wonders 'what's wrong with my VM' on 2GB total system RAM. When they needed at least 12-16GB to think about running VM's seriously. Preferably twice that amount, depending on what one plans to do with the VM. 

Since your hardware looks good, and the only issue is that your desktop manager is freezing, maybe poking in the logs of the VM may help. Or w/out reinstalling the one you have setup for present use, create another like it & see what happens, that's as close as duplicating the issue as it gets. 

There was also a recent VMware release that may or may not have addressed your issue. Just installed last night on another Linux Mint MATE install, haven't had a chance to create any VM's yet. Though am considering Mint Debian. 

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0

Cat

How is information about the RAM industry helping me? I have a serious question, I don't need broader education about things I'm well aware of.

I explained I'm managing a cluster already, why would I be using an underpowered Walmart PC?

How would poking in VM logs see what's happening on the host causing the desktop manager to crash?

VMWare's not crashing, why would I re-install it?

What has VMWare Player updates got to do with my problem? It's not even the same application.

Please consider things before typing them. It's always the same users derailing every help thread in the Linux section here.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:19 AM

OP, is the host still alive?  It sounds like it is, just that the window manager goes belly up.  When it does this, can you ssh into the host and simply do a top?  Reason is to check for Xorg spinning at 100%.  There may also be information in the X server log (/var/log/X.0.log most likely). 

Yeah, it's still running. I've been dropping out of the manager into a terminal and checked the processes using top and atop. Nothing is out of the ordinary except that gdm3 is frozen.

The xserver log (what I call the session log) refreshes every time you start a new session. I have looked at it. I didn't make sense of it. Next time it happens I'll export it to text and post it up here. Hopefully you, or someone else, can figure out what is happening.

Last version on KDE desktop the VMWare taskbar icon used to crash the desktop :rolleyes: , hopefully this is just as simple to fix once I discover it. I'm liking Cinnamon at the moment and don't want to go back to KDE right now. I was really hoping someone had already hit this one before...

Edited by TsVk!, 03 May 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#15 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:00 AM

Good, if the host is still running, we have a better chance of figuring it out.  If you're getting to a console (I'm assuming ctrl-alt-F### to switch to a virtual console) then the chances are that it's X are slim.  

gdm3 is frozen?   Isn't that typically the graphical login that lets you select what desktop environment you want to run?  

There were a few tricks over here that may get you more information (look at the parts about "crashing" and "logging").

https://wiki.debian.org/GDM

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users