I appear to be having trouble with my firefox browser.
My operating system is Windows 8.1. I have an Acer Aspire V3-772G which I bought some 18 months ago.
Processor: Intel® Core i7-4202MQ 2.2GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
Installed Memory (RAM) 16.00 GB DDR3 L Memory
System type: 64-bit Operating, x64- based processor
A few days ago my firefox browser, which for no apparent reason at all, just seemed to slow to a stupendously very slow loading of pages. I had recently just been working on an issue in which I posted a thread regarding whether there was a possible virus/malware after google chrome terminated with the following message from Hitman Pro Alert:
'Google Chrome 49' has been terminated to prevent execution of malicious code. Please check your computer for malware and software updates
As it happened, it appeared to be because of a conflict somewhere in the Google Chrome, Trusteer Rapport and Hitman Pro Alert combination, and so the only way was to change the settings on Hitman Pro Alert as advised and shown in my thread:
However, there was no malware or virus detected by my own Avast or Malwareware bytes tools, and the tools used as instructed in the thread also showed my system to have none. Also, google chrome works fine, and my computer has not slowed in any way. My firefox did have quite a few extensions, but they were not all bundled under the same profile. I had different profiles for different purpose; General browing, Online banking, Gaming, Media, extension and so on, so I would have not expected any significant slowing of the browser unless an extension was problematic. I don't appear to suffer any overheating to my laptop and keep it relatively clean from dust as possible. I had also run CHDSK which showed no errors. I defragmented my hard drive which showed little fragmentation
So then I uninstalled every single extension in order to see if one of them might have been the culprit. This did not seem to improve the speed much, whatever firefox profile I ran. So I then I ran firefox in safe mode which did approach something like normal speed, but once back in normal mode, even without any add ons, extensions etc, it just reverts back to loading at a snail's pace. As my machine is clean it can't be a malware or some other issue from a bad add-on/extension or otherwise it's not picking up that it is, so I don't know that that could be the culprit. Then I refreshed the browser so that it removed all extensions, add ons, bookmarks, plug ins etc and moved them to a folder called Old firefox data. Again running firefox in normal mode it was still excruciatingly slow. .
I then decided that I would uninstall firefox and reinstall it, but that doesn't seem to have resolved the problem. I also had all my tweaks set how I wanted it on about:config before, which was lost in reinstalling it, and would have started the process of rebuilding my browser, redoing the profiles and reinstalling the extensions but for the fact my browser remains slow. There are some other recommended links I am reading of people with similar problems that I am reading to find a solution, but in the meantime I thought I would start a thread here and hope that someone could help assist me in getting to the root of the problem and finding a solution.