Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox browser issue. Really slow loading pages, and glitchy scrolling of pages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 compbuff

compbuff

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

Hi,

I appear to be having trouble with my firefox browser.

My operating system is Windows 8.1. I have an Acer Aspire V3-772G which I bought some 18 months ago.

System details:

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4202MQ 2.2GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 16.00 GB DDR3 L Memory

System  type: 64-bit Operating, x64- based processor

A few days ago my firefox browser, which for no apparent reason at all, just seemed to slow to a stupendously very slow loading of pages. I had recently just been working on an issue in which I posted a thread regarding whether there was a possible virus/malware after google chrome terminated with the following message from Hitman Pro Alert:

Attack Intercepted

'Google Chrome 49' has been terminated to prevent execution of malicious code. Please check your computer for malware and software updates

As it happened, it appeared to be because of a conflict somewhere in the Google Chrome, Trusteer Rapport and Hitman Pro Alert combination, and so the only way was to change the settings on Hitman Pro Alert as advised and shown in my thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611273/possible-virus-or-malaware/

However, there was no malware or virus detected by my own Avast or Malwareware bytes tools, and the tools used as instructed in the thread also showed my system to have none. Also, google chrome works fine, and my computer has not slowed in any way. My firefox did have quite a few extensions, but they were not all bundled under the same profile. I had different profiles for different purpose; General browing, Online banking, Gaming, Media, extension and so on, so I would have not expected any significant slowing of the browser unless an extension was problematic. I don't appear to suffer any overheating to my laptop and keep it relatively clean from dust as possible. I had also run CHDSK which showed no errors. I defragmented my hard drive which showed little fragmentation

So then I uninstalled every single extension in order to see if one of them might have been the culprit. This did not seem to improve the speed much, whatever firefox profile I ran. So I then I ran firefox in safe mode which did approach something like normal speed, but once back in normal mode, even without any add ons, extensions etc, it just reverts back to loading at a snail's pace. As my machine is clean it can't be a malware or some other issue from a bad add-on/extension or otherwise it's not picking up that it is, so I don't know that that could be the culprit. Then I refreshed the browser so that it removed all extensions, add ons, bookmarks, plug ins etc and moved them to a folder called Old firefox data. Again running firefox in normal mode it was still excruciatingly slow. .

I then decided that I would uninstall firefox and reinstall it, but that doesn't seem to have resolved the problem. I also had all my tweaks set how I wanted it on about:config before, which was lost in reinstalling it, and would have started the process of rebuilding my browser, redoing the profiles and reinstalling the extensions but for the fact my browser remains slow. There are some other recommended links I am reading of people with similar problems that I am reading to find a solution, but in the meantime I thought I would start a thread here and hope that someone could help assist me in getting to the root of the problem and finding a solution.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

Sorry if I missed it, did you earlier, during the uninstall and reinstall of Firefox, clear Firefox's cache files, not any other files, just the cache files?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Hi Roland,

No you didn't miss it; I had forgot to mention that I had also cleared Firefox's cache files as well. 

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

Are you running the most current version of Firefox...v.46.0?  In many instances when making changes in the Firefox settings, you are told to close Firefox and then reopen it for the changes to take place.  I've never experienced Firefox being particularly slow and I'm still running old WinXP Pro o\s. :rolleyes:

Edited by TulsaRose, 03 May 2016 - 07:20 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hi Tulsa,

Yes I already was. And yes, I have always been asked to close firefox and then re-open for changes to take place. 

However I have uninstalled and now re-installed firefox for second time and for some reason it seems to be running fine now. My laptop was already declared clean as mentioned above, of any malware or viruses, and remain so. My laptop is performing and running fine and I have had no issues with my other browser Google Chrome, so I am glad to report, that at least as of this moment in time, and after running it thoroughly for a while, my firefox seems to be running fine and normally again. It would have been nice to know however what had been causing the issue! 

#6 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Good to hear that the problem has cleared up.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

To keep my firefox working, I have ccenhancer, at every coldpost/boot and restart, kick into gear ccleaner's duty of deleting all three of my browsers' cache files [nothing else, only the cache files].  Last several weeks, FF appears to be doing fine.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hi Roland,

Just saw your post. Is this a tool that means you have to use CCleaner and then download this CCenhancer to do so? Sounds like a good concept,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users