Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some fn (Function) Keys Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 0hmai

0hmai

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

Hello, 

I just recently wiped the hard drive to my laptop and reinstalled windows 7 since I am selling my laptop. I downloaded the necessary drivers for the laptop as well. Everything is good to go and I will be shipping it in a few days. 

However, some of the fn keys have stopped working. I tested all of them, and the f9-f12 keys do not work anymore. 

I have an Asus U46e laptop. I tried googling a solution and many sites/ videos said to do "
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe" but when I try it, a message comes up saying "Windows cannot find C:\program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I really don't want to give someone the laptop and have them struggle with this issue. 

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

Is the factory partition still there?  Sometimes, factory sets up a menu of things that can be installed.  Like my Acer, I can reinstall some of the driver sets.  I hope your Asus has such a menu, perhaps you can reinstall the keyboard drivers.  Earlier, I typed about trying a usb keyboard, however, now, I don't believe that will help.

If no go on above, try this:  go to Asus support pages, find your exact model, download the exe or zip install for the keyboard.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 May 2016 - 02:07 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

0hmai, in your other topic, I told you that you should enable UEFI mode when you were installing Windows.  Did you do that?  That might be the reason your function keys aren't working.

#4 0hmai

0hmai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

Oh shoot , I must not of read that part. What is UEFI? Is there a way I can still enable it ?

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface.  It is a newer kind of firmware that replaces BIOS.

If you look at the image you posted with your other topic, you will see UEFI Boot under Boot Configuration has been disabled.  You need to enable that before you install Windows.  Since you already installed Windows with UEFI disabled, you can correct the situation as follows:

1.  If you haven't as yet, burn the Windows ISO you downloaded to a DVD.  You can burn ISOs natively in Windows 7 and later by following this article.

2.  Insert the DVD disc in the target computer.

3.  Boot into the UEFI.

4.  Enable UEFI Boot.

5.  Exit the UEFI.  You computer should boot from the Windows disc.  If it doesn't, you may have to set the optical drive to first in the boot order.

6.  Choose custom install and delete all existing partitions.

7.  Install Windows in the empty space.

8.  Install your drivers.

Check your function keys and see if they work now.

Let me know how it goes.

#6 0hmai

0hmai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:14 AM

No luck with that method, but it's alright . Thank you so much anyways ! Since only a few fn keys aren't working, I'm sure it's not a big deal to the customer. The fn keys that don't work are the volume, and touch pad enabler/disabler keys. They aren't that important so it's okay. And if they really need to use those functions, they can always do it manually. Thanks again for the help!

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:10 AM

No problem.  As long as the customer is happy, I don't see a problem.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users